New Year, New Hope

I hold my breath as the the bright colourful sparks fly up into the sky before bursting into streaks. I'm not a fan of fireworks, except when it's new years eve, like tonight. I sit back, my muscles relaxed as I look at the shimmering lights of the city. I hear another bang and look up as the sky filled with giant numbers. I try to read what they say. "2032" my mother whispers quietly. I look over to this fragile woman, Her eyes filled with sadness. I had to get her out of bed, she had to see her last firework display. She leans against my shoulder and I lightly kiss her bald wrinkly head. I wish silently that this moment would last forever, just the two of us. I hear another bang, but don't see any streaks of colour, I hear a couple more. I get up suddenly, causing my mother to jolt. I pear through the window. More bangs, I don't see any colourful blasts going off but I do see red. People are screaming. Solders are marching across the roads. I firmly grip my mother, squeezing her arm so tight it starts to turn purple. But she doesn't care, she can see too. I close the curtains and I hurry my mother down, into the basement. She's seen enough horror in her life. Just in time. Bombs start falling from the skies, I know this because I've memorised the sound. We huddle together. "Happy new year" she says quietly, her lips turning blue.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!