Dawn

The sounds of a few cars passing by on the wet road filled my ears as I struggled to keep my eyes open. 'Too early,' said my mind once my eyes took a short glance at the bright, red numbers flashing '5:34 A.M' on my alarm clock. After some rolling around and thrashing, I decided it was no use and got up from bed. The cold floor alarmed my entire body as it touched my bare feet. Everyone was asleep and I could hear the soft snores coming from my parent's room through the walls of my room. I touched the freezing door knob and slowly creaked it open, trying to avoid any noise. The hallway was silent, except for the snores that were now very loud and clear. I tiptoed down the hallway stealthily, using the walls as guidance since it was still pitch-black outside.

I was now in the living room, which still smelt of pizza from last night. Through the window, I could see that the darkness was slowly starting to creep away and there was my chance. It was dawn. Dawn, dawn, dawn. I've always wanted to wake up at dawn and see the sky transition from a piercing blue-ish-black colour to the calming pink and orange colours. Just the thought of it made me all fuzzy and warm on the inside. Why? I did not know. I sort of ran and tiptoed myself out of the living room, through the kitchen and into the backyard. Almost instantly, the freezing winter breeze crashed into my face and bare arms. I quickly went back inside and fetched a soft, purple blanket from inside. My heart was beating rapidly. I really wanted to see the dawn sky and definitely did not want to miss this chance. I went down the steps leading into my backyard and sat on the little, green bench on the grass. I could feel the dew on the over-grown grass brush against my ankles. I looked up at the sky.

"Finally," I whispered, in a sort of relieved voice. The sky looked stunning. It was so perfect; better than I had ever imagined. At the very top, the sky was a navy-blue colour which was joined to a gorgeous shade of blush pink. Between the two colours, there was a blurry ray of light that joined the two. Little clouds could be spotted here and there. They looked like tiny balls of cotton and almost looked edible. That thought made me laugh.
"Silly me," I giggled softly. I loved everything about this moment. The soft breeze, the distant chirping of the birds, the smell of a winter morning, the feeling of the dew on the grass against my skin. I loved the dawn.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!