The Flight

The Flight
I open my eyes from a prolonged slumber and peer at my alarm clock.
It reads: 7: AM. My flight leaves at eight! Take off is way too soon! My brain comprehends these numbers and I leap out of bed. I start packing. It takes thirty minutes to drive to the airport, fifteen minutes to get to the plane.
Fifteen minutes! That’s all the time I have to pack! I’d better start.

I almost wet my pants with excitement, because this is the day I go to the place of my dreams. Hawaii! I start tossing things into my suitcase. I’m slightly manic.
“Toothbrush, pants, undies… and how can I forget my camera?” I pack essentials, then snap the bag closed and shoot down the stairs, faster than a lightning bolt!
“See you kids. I’ll be back in a week!” I scream, louder than rocket launch.


Oh no, the car is locked. Keys! I speed back into the house; the clock on the wall reads 7.10. Fifty minutes till take off. I search the home, and finally look into the key bowl. Empty. I’m distracted by a bright shimmer on the window sill. ‘Oooh’ I think excitedly ‘A dollar? – oh no, just my keys…’
“Oh yeah, keys. I need those,” I shout, “Let’s go.”
I zip towards the door again. RIIIIIIIP! I forgot to open the screen door. But I run so fast I crash straight through it. No time to fix it. Keep going.

Time check: 7:15am: Forty-five minutes till take off.
I drive out of the street. My foot punches the accelerator to the floor.
‘Splutter!’ screams the engine. It begs helplessly for me to stop. I keep driving, faster now. Low fuel.
“Less is more,” my mum always said. That may not be true for fuel. I drive into the station, hurriedly. I fill my tank with diesel, pay at the pump, and squeal my tyres as I drive away. I arrive at the airport.
Time Check: 7:47am. Thirteen minutes till take off.

I will have to get through security like a flash if I want to get on that plane. Hawaii waits for me. I run towards the automatic doors.
Donk!
The door rattles from the impact of my hit. The sensor hasn’t seen me. I wave my arms around like one of those inflatable people at a car yard. It opens and I rush through. I zip through security.
Time Check: 7:57am: Three minutes till take off. I approach the gates, frazzled. The attendant looks at me with pity.
“Mondays? Am I r-?” she says.
“Mondays?... Mondays?” I interrupt, rudely. I look down at my ticket: Tuesday 18th May 2021.
“Umm, could you please clarify the date for me?” I ask, mystified.
“It is Monday, the 18th of May,” she huffs, annoyed that I interrupt.
“Argh!” I yell. My flight leaves tomorrow.
I look up at the clock, disappointed, and sigh deeply.
It reads: 8am. 24 hours till take off.


I guess.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!