Obsessing

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! Mmm the irritating sound of my alarm clock beeping over and over. I quickly shoot out of my bed and tuck in the sides of the sheets to rearrange the pillows perfectly. I dust off my cabinet and crack out my school uniform. Slap that on, fix my collar to my blouse. Tie my dirty blonde hair into a perfect half up half down, cute bow, boom. I'm ready for the first day of year 7.

Hi, I'm Hazel, and I'm going to teach you about a morning with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).
A day in my life is confusing, tuff and a lot rigid. It all started when I was 10, 3 years ago. I woke up from a deathly dream of me in a hospital bed with my mums, I'm losing myself to a dreadful death of cancer. So now I have my safe number. That saves me from cancer.

I pack my books and stack them neatly in my bag. Then I leave for the kitchen to pack my lunch. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 I switch the light on and off 8 times. 8 is my safe number. If I don't do everything 8 times I increase my risk of cancer. I gallop down the stairs where I encounter my mum. A messy bun and baggy chequered sweats.

Avoiding all cracks in the floor, I possibly can manage to get to the fridge. 1 apple, 2 chocolates , 4 single chips and 1 sandwich, perfectly stacked. Bread, butter, vegemite, cheese and lettuce. That all equals up to 8 things to eat today.

I take 8 steps to the door, wait 8 seconds and take another 8 steps.

“MUM! MUMMA! HURRY I DON'T WANT TO BE LATE!!”
I jump into the backseat, the back is scientifically the safest spot in a car. Mum hops into the driver's seat.

“Where's Mumma?” i question her

“Busy love” she replies with a gentle voice “ remember i will pick you up two periods early you have a therapy session”

“Got it”

And we're off. Once we arrive at school I close my eyes and count to 8.

I jump outta the car to witness a giant building with giants surrounding me. I hold back my tears and walk in, dancing like a ballerina trying to avoid cracks, counting aloud to 8 then starting again once I reach that number. Everyones looking at me. great!. As soon as I make it inside the bell rings for the first period. MATHS! Hooray!! I love maths. It's fun and I'm good at it. I made it to maths 3 minutes late and a wee bit sweaty. I get out my things and arrange them on the table. I look around to see my classmates. Not my year 6 bully! Oh no.

“Haha it's the OCD freak!” Jason yelled, then proceeded to throw his shoe at my head.

Then I blacked out…
And that's morning for me :)

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!