Haunted

Jenna glanced around. The invitation indicated that the party would be right where she stood but there was no one in sight. Where could her friends be? She desperately needed help as her phone had been confiscated a week ago and her mum wouldn’t be back for a few hours at most. What could she do? Suddenly, she tasted the metallic tang of magic, the mystical odour wafted up her nose and without hesitation, Jenna followed the enticing odour. Before long, she stumbled across a castle. Although it was ancient and decrepit, she knew this was where she should be.
Something or someone seemed to be enchanting her. Whatever it was, Jenna felt drawn to the house like a magnet. Maybe it was just her, but the wind seemed to blow a little stronger and something compelled her to confidently but unwarily stroll through the rusty gates and open the imposing front door.
Carelessly closing it behind her, Jenna heard a deafening thud. She spun around. The door had collapsed behind her. There was no way out now. The floorboards creaked, and the wind seemed to whisper her name. A step at a time, she stumbled backwards, cautious of everything around her. Crack! Her eyes filled with fear as Jenna slowly turned on her heels and gasped. There, in front of her, lay dozens of lifeless skeletons.
The floorboards howled, the wind screamed her name. Jenna’s opal blue gaze turned emerald green, her curly hair jutted straight out and her pretty young face aged into that of a hideous old lady. Jenna frantically struggled, her hopeless eyes brimmed with tears. The skeletons rose and her skin tightened as she rasped out one last word…
That night, another deceived soul joined the group of the dead and the haunted house disappeared into nothing but an echoing cackle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!