Water Fear

"You trust me right?" Only a few specks of light shone through the dark cave as her voice echoed. Her voice sounded angelic,heavenly. Her ocean blue eyes met with dark, lifeless ones; both eyes told a different story.

"Come on, little girl, hold my hand," the goddess spoke softly, her gentleness swarming around her like a whirlpool. The little girl on the other side of the cave cocked her head, her pupils questioning the goddess. Was it apprehension? maybe. Lei didn't trust the older woman, no matter how beautiful she was; she had been taught never to trust beautiful beings. Both girls locked their gazes on each other, challenging each other to see who was the strongest in the cave. Lei maintained intense eye contact, but the Goddess tensed it even more, and without another word, Lei stepped into the cave pool.

The water tickled her feet, almost breaking Lei's solemn expression. The wind blew past, swaying Lei's black hair past her face, making the young girl appear much more beautiful. A comforting emotion broke Lei's serious face, a small smile slowly appearing as silence filled the cave, the feeling of home travelling with the wind.

"I've always despised water." Lei began by looking down and watching as baby fishes swam around her leg. "I'm not sure why. Do you understand why?"

The goddess chuckled, making the girl feel embarrassed for asking such a silly question.

"Because you're scared."

"of what?"

"I'm not sure how I'd know. It is your fear, not mine." The goddess spoke with her arms behind her back and a bright smile on her face. Lei was at a loss for words; she hadn't expected that as an answer. After a moment of thought, Lei simply nodded, a smile fading from her face as she remembered why she was in the cave in the first place. Lei was torn between remaining silent and converting. As the goddess continued to stare at her, tightening her fist, she spoke.


"I didn't expect the afterlife to be this pleasant.."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!