Heartbreak

The whistle of the missiles landing deep in the ground shook like an earthquake. People screamed in pain and terror, rushing out the school gate ahead of us. In our trio, my friends and I stood in disbelief, not knowing what to do next. Is this real? Am I dreaming? The smell of the gun powder and petrol fumes makes me understand what it would have been like to experience a World War. All those poor helpless people losing their loved ones, homes, pets and sense of safety. This was beyond belief.

As we gazed around at the carnage, we helplessly wondered where our families were. Lost and scared I reflected on what I could do, a 19 year old traumatised and frightened by the bombings of our neighbours … now our enemies. Shouting the name of my mother and father, but still no one answered. I snatch my phone from my pocket but there is no signal. All power lines had collapsed and were lying on the ground like discarded puppets. I’m drenched in my own tears as my friends and I make our way to the nearby alley to hide.

A small bomb exploded metres away from me, and the dust covers my body. We had no choice but to seek out a safer hiding place. We helplessly roamed for hours, trying to seek out our family, whilst eluding the enemy. Knowing we would be less visible if we split up, we all headed off in different directions. I was terrified of being alone but I knew if I had any chance of surviving, it was by travelling solo.

I gradually made my way back to my home, distraught to see it was nothing but rubble on the ground. As I turned to leave I heard a loud speaker declare that a safety bus would be transporting victims to a safety zone. I was in a dilemma. Do I take the safety option, or do I continue my search for my beloved family? I cautiously climbed the steps of the rusty bus, my heart heavy.

The squeaky brakes rusting together woke me with a start. I disembarked with my head hung low. Someone suddenly hugs me from behind in a strong embrace. I spin around to find my father, tears in his eyes, looking back at me. Relief washes over me.
“Where’s everyone else” I question?
“They’re … gone!” he replies in a quiet, forlorn voice.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!