Jake's Journey

As Jake walked barefoot down the street the reflection of the dawn sun gently burned his red bloodshot eyes. A yellow taxi screams beep its horn and ask Jake if he wants a ride as he was walking on the road, the taxi pulls to the side of the road. He thinks about escaping the city, escaping this life. But his mind brings him back to the present and he slowly reflects on the last few months and the moments that led him here. He regrets the taxi's offer and continues walking, as he walks barefoot down the street he grew up in the feels nothing but regret for taking his parents' kindness for granted. As he looks left and right he reminisces of him as a baby driving him toy cars down the ramps onto the same road he's walking bare feet on right now. He knows what he did was wrong but knows that it's too late for another chance. He took advantage of their forgiveness towards him and now has crossed the line towards they don’t even take into account his reasoning for his actions and improvements in himself and all his promises of false hope. Every Friday night, Jake used to walk to their favourite Thai place. They've been going there for years on years now since he was 3 years old. The vibes and mood there are great, full of vibrant colours and loud RnB music all night long and the food itself is so full of flavours and textures, it makes you feel alive. Now he goes and watches. His parents sit alone together, engaging in conversation, as their son watches from the other side of the glass, desolate, drenched in water with no money and no hope. Jake lives with two of his best friends from high school, paying a shared rent every fortnight, he's content there as it's less stressful on him both financially and mentally wise. Jakes's buddies Ryan and George both study part-time at Uni as well as work in their family-owned cafe. They've offered Jake a job there as they noticed he missed his rent payment for the last month, Jake declined the offer but ever since the taxi altercation, Jake grew more ambitious to get his life together not only for himself but to prove to his parents his worthy of their trust again, Jake grew this ambition through the weather today, he saw dark clouds on one side of the sky and than the other portion of the sky was clear blue, slowly the blue side overtook the whole sky. This gave Jake a sense of hope and meaning through bad doesn't last forever unless you let it. As a result of this, Jake anticipated going home tonight with news that he's finally ready to take up their offer at the cafe and to also prepare an apology speech to his parents for next Friday at the Thai place.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!