Way Back Home


It was silent as the dead of night. No cars. No noise. Nothing. But it wasn’t night, it was dawn, the warm bright sun rose behind the tall buildings. Slight shadows casted onto the pavement. But the burning sun beat down, suffocating him. But left and right, in all directions the streets were void of cars. A long line of workers were waiting, waiting to exit the town. Suddenly, out of the shadows, a taxi appeared. This is what you have to expect in the town of Lunar. It never changes.

This was Jim’s fifth time leaving his town. He would leave his wife and two children behind in order to give them everything they need. But finding a job isn’t easy, especially when you're from a secluded town and seemingly isolated from the rest of humankind. He was financially unstable and desperate for an income. But today was the day. The day he left the most valuable people behind to give them a better life.

“Taxi,” yelled Jim. The taxi slowed down and reversed. Jim walked over to the taxi. He was wearing a professional, black suit, a black bucket hat and long green work boots which covered half his legs. He opened the rusty yellow door and the first thing that struck him was the overpowering smell of a man unshowered. The stench was enough to bring tears to his eyes.
“Where to?”, asked the taxi driver.
“Out of this town,” he replied.
The other residents watched the taxi slowly fade away into silence.
“You got yourself some work today?” questioned the driver.
“Yeah. I’ve got myself a job interview today”, he said, fixing his blazer. Jim turned around and sunk into the old torn leather seat as the taxi gradually distanced itself away.

After what felt like an eternity, Jim hopped out of the taxi and headed into the large, developed city. Walking through the streets, he would see happy families, laughing and enjoying themselves. He stood there, questioning his role as a father, whether or not he made the right decision. He reached his destination. He opened the large, looming front doors, proceeded into the lift and stood there waiting until he reached level ninety six. DING. The doors opened to reveal a large, airy office. The smell of fresh flowers was a welcoming surprise. Out of the corner of his eye, a tall, well dressed middle-aged man came striding towards him.
“Ah Jim is it? Nice to meet you, take a seat,” insisted the CEO.

With every question he got asked, Jim would reply with the usual repetitive answers. They were discussing and chatting and until they reached dead silence. The CEO took a deep breath and smiled,
“I’ll give you a chance”. Jim sighed with relief. As Jim headed out of the city and into his home town. The sun set on a silence that felt different somehow. The world felt more open, the sun didn’t suffocate him as much now.








FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!