Heartbeat

A quiet stream, glittering with the dim stars of the remaining twilight. The faint lights swirled within the gentle current. Grass rolled in the cool breeze upon the small hill on the riverbank, the smooth swish blowing with the rippling water. A mellow earthy smell surrounded the area. An echoed laughter broke the calming ambience and I felt a cold hand on my chest, pulling on my faded red shirt and lifting me to meet her eyes. A heartbeat fastened.
Those eyes that glittered with stars through them, her faintly glowing eyes, so warm you could expel the heat on the most frigid of days. The almost pearlescent hair fell from her shoulders as she pulled her face to mine and smiled, such a bright smile.
The fading light of the moon shone through her hair and melded it with her skin, a shimmering complexion her face was. Anyone would be in awe.
I could watch her for hours. From the way, the hairs of her eyelashes flutter, to the subtle movements her lips make when nervous.
The sway of the grass on my legs forced a laugh, as I stretch my hands back and lean on them, looking at the ever so growing light on the horizon.
“Sunrise’s comin’ soon, y’know I love the sunrise, ‘specially when it’s with you.” her honey voice murmured softly. The silky tone of her words sent small shivers down my spine, ultimately she was utterly perfect.
Comfortable silence filled the air, I could hear a heartbeat, thumping louder and louder. Seconds seemed to pass like hours, or rather at the speed of light, the rising sun only drew closer and closer to breaking dawn.
I gasp as suddenly I find both my hands intertwined with hers, her cold palms tightly against mine. With time out of my grasp, I let myself be. At this moment I stared through her eyes and watched the reeds sway near the river. My grip tightens.
I let my eyelids fall, and my head drooped down onto hers, the sensation of her hair brushing my cheeks. Her hands pressed against mine and somehow, we held each other even tighter.
Hours could have passed in that instant, many even a millennium.
A brisk gush of wind blew against my neck and I closed my eyes even tighter as my hands' grew cold and the grip loosened.
And as I open my eyes to the bleak rays of dawn, I reside alone, with my longing heart beating.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!