The Flames Of Despair

The Flames Of Despair


My torch went out, and all that could be heard were muffled whispers all around me and rodents scurrying between my feet. “Hello, anybody there?” I asked shaking in fear, looking around in the pitch-black darkness, as debris fell from the deteriorating walls and a stench of mould filled the cave.

“What are you doing here?” a raspy voice called out, echoing through the cave. Suddenly I felt icy fingers grip my arm in the darkness.

“Ahhhh...!” I tried to scream, but my mouth was covered by the same icy fingers that had grabbed my arm. I managed to break free and ran towards the faint, distant light, heart beating like an off-beat drum. “Help!” I shrieked. As I was running, suddenly, I felt a hollow patch under my feet.

“What the?.........Ahhhh!” I fell through the floor. BANG, CRASH! “Owww!” I winced in pain. My arm was dislocated, and I had bleeding dirty scratches on my legs. Clenching my teeth, I popped my arm back into its socket. Yowch! The pain was unbearable, but at least I could use my arm now. I could taste the dust in my dry mouth.

I glanced around and couldn't believe what I was looking at. Bright yellow flames on long sticks lit up the room. My eyes were transfixed on the shine of the gold, my mouth watering at the freshwater, and my nose inhaling the dirt. This was it, the ancient Spanish temple that I had been searching for for over an entire decade and it was right in front of me. I ran towards the canal, taking big gulps of the refreshing, clear water as it quenched my thirsty, dry mouth.

I made my way up the stairs and towards the grand, looming entrance. As I entered the golden temple there were ancient writing and images carved into the wall and the architecture was like a sanctuary.

“Hello…,” a soft growling voice coming from somewhere deep inside the temple interrupted my thoughts.

Suddenly a cold breeze brushed past me, sending shivers down my spine. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as another gust of wind so powerful, lifted me off my feet and pushed me deeper into an ornamental chamber room.

The doors around me shut in unison, and I still didn't understand how there was a breeze underground. The flame torches went out from the gust of wind, and I saw glints of light in the shadows that now surrounded me.

As fast as lightning the torches lit themselves again, this time an ominous light green flame. As my eyes adjusted, I saw a group of ghosts surrounding me. Two of them walked forward and grabbed me. It felt like the icy fingers that touched me earlier. At that moment I knew my fate was sealed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!