Magic Mushroom

I remember our trips to the countryside, basking in the summer heat, running through fields of flower, and sometimes, after a rainy day, going out and hunting for the magic mushroom. Or that's what the coaches used to tell us anyways. There was this one after a particularly humid and rainy day, you woke me up early and suggested we should go and find the magic mushroom alone, without the others. Because, in your words, "the more people who look for it, it will hide itself away". Our secret quest continued for long after that. At one point, I realised the magic mushroom became a mere excuse, or some sort of code we used to spend time with each other, alone, creating memories that enveloped me like your warm hugs that carry me through the tears and pain when not many other things could. Then, summer slipped away.

"Representing Vietnam, Anh Thao Le"

I didn't think that I would have made it to the Olympics without you, after all, we promised each other that the Tokyo Olympics would be 'ours', you would be win golds in swimming, I would win gold in rhythmic gymnastics, and we would make history. But as I heard my name announced through the speakers and the immense roar from the audience, I know that I'm truly here. A month ago, no one thought I would actually make it, my coach even told me off and gave me a one week break to get myself together and be ready. Because I won't be able to even qualify given the shape I was in, although I have been the World Champion for the past three years. And the break unexpectedly led me to you.

Or rather, to the place where summer seem to never end. On the third day, it rained. So I decided tomorrow would be a good day to go look for magic mushrooms, and I didn't know if it was because time has stopped, but under the same tree where we found our first magic mushroom, it was there. And as I ascended towards it, sunlight began filtering through and the mushrooms glowed, it felt like some sort of a dream. I stopped and stared, and through the lights I think I saw you, a young boy with hair fiery red, smiling at me like you used to, bright and shine and happy, and for the first time in a very long while, I mirrored yours.

When I flung my ribbon into the air as the music starts, I know you're there with me, and I know you're watching from the stands, cheering for me like you used to, and I know you will understand why I chose to perform my routine to this song. It was your favourite, but coincidentally, it was composed as the last waltz for a couple, and I thought it conveys the things I want to say to you. A thank you, a goodbye, and a see you again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!