Violet's Ball

A beautiful orchestra played as the sun blessed London with its gaze. Violet awoke with the sun, her silk nightdress slightly slipping off her shoulder. Her eyes wandered across her lavish room. Eventually, she locked eyes with her new maid Helena; she was young in comparison to the others. Sparks of energy remained in her eyes; she was not much older than Violet. “Good morning, Mistress Beckwith-” she began, “breakfast will be ready shortly. Your parents requested your attendance today. They’ve got exciting news to share, so you must get dressed!”

Helena hummed along to the orchestra’s music as she helped Violet out of bed and dressed her. Helena’s energy was shared with Violet as they prepared for breakfast. Helena, along with two other maids, lead Violet to the dining room. A delicious aroma filled the room. All of Violet’s favourites were prepared, a bowl of pumpkin porridge was already served and ready for her to enjoy. Beside her bowl was a lovely cup of milk with a biscuit placed inside. Violet was overjoyed. “Good morning mother and father, I hear you have news?” Violet inquired. Her father replied cheerfully “The Queen is holding a ball tomorrow night; she invited all the wealthy families across London.” He paused, already seeing the excitement building up in Violet’s eyes. “Including us!”  Squeals were exchanged by Violet and her mother; they couldn’t contain their joy. They had been invited to a ball at the palace! Violet’s mother hurried her husband to finish breakfast so that she could prepare for the ball.

The rest of the day had disappeared, the newly bought dresses for tomorrow would arrive in the morning for a maid to collect and accessorize with their family’s finest, most expensive jewelry. Morning came and excitement was already buzzing in Violet’s room. Five perhaps six maids stood in a line ready to dress Violet in a gorgeous, off the shoulder dress made of soft lilac-coloured fabrics. A magnificent lace decorated the dress. Violet fell in love with its beauty.

Soon enough the ball came along. The Beckwith family arrived by carriage and were greeted by a man wearing a fitted dress coat with silver buttons. He led them to a dazzling hall filled with lively music. It was much more beautiful than Violet imagined. The room was candlelit with an elegant aesthetic. Violet hurried over to her friends, only to be stopped by a tall man with striking features. His eyes resembled pastures. “May I have this dance?” he requested. His voice was deep and enticing. Violet responded softly “yes.” He took her hand and they began to dance. She spent the night dancing with him. Each new dance was exhilarating; every new song became her favourite. They spoke to each other as though they were old friends. Once the ball ended, Violet realised she longed for him.

The following morning a telegram arrived for Violet, from her mysterious lover, the Prince of England.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!