Ten Seconds Of Steel And One Long Weekend

My alarm went off, I was already awake a bit nervous and excited for today. My thoughts were racing, reminding myself yesterday was only qualifiers and I can recover my position today.
Dad and I get up, ready for today’s go kart session. He’s chattering as we get ready and head to the track. “You nearly had it yesterday, mate. You know, this is just our first time at this track, and you kept up with Jack. Remember he’s the season leader and second was a great run until you clipped the inside edge near the finish line. I’m sure you will nail it today, just hold that last bend.”
It has been one long weekend already and we are only halfway through.
The thrill of the starting line is electric. I’m at the back of the grid but I’ve recently started to notice the gaps and opportunities to overtake karts ahead of me and am excited to climb the ladder.
They let us out of the gates, it’s a warmup lap and everyone must stay in their positions. Zig zagging gets your blood pumping and tyres warmed. Then the formation lap, where everyone grids up and as we come round the last bend excitement increases, as you see the Green Flag and the race is on.
I egg myself on, “You can do this, step on it.”
On the first bend I take the inside line and pass the kart ahead of me, they had been running a bit slow all weekend. In the next short straight I whizz by 8th and 7th positions. I know I can do this.
I sit in 6th for the whole next lap, not quite finding the gap. Then as we pass the start/finish line on that first bend again, I see the opening, the blue kart in 5th has taken it wide, maybe even wobbly and I scream by on the inside. Feeling good but knowing there are many laps to go, I sit there in 4th recovering from the starting rush.
I come past pit lane and just for a split second I see Dad and the family watching. Holding tight to the wheel as the pack completes more laps, I put my foot down to catch 3rd and then pass on that bend that spun me out yesterday.
I see a bend coming and decide to take on the kart ahead. I find myself sitting again in second place now, like yesterday.
I see the final lap light go on.
I move to the inside of the track, the faster line. We race down that long back straight one more time neck and neck. I tap the break, turn right, hold the kart steady and come flying out on the inside line to the black checkered flag.
I did it!
I let out my breath. It was as if I held my breath for that last corner, maybe 10 seconds of steel!
What a long weekend.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!