I Just Want A Friend

I Just Want a Friend

The room shone as though it were the night sky, booming voices drifted through the air like smoke on a battlefield. A petite girl stood at the back of a bustling toy store, her name was Annabel. Annabel had long flowing blonde hair that reached the small of her back. Her eyes looked like pools of the darkest ocean blue and she wore a pink pastel sundress. Her porcelain skin looked so delicate almost like if you touched it, she would shatter into a million pieces. She watched as the children ran around asking for this toy and that toy, the parents trying to keep a hold on the hyperactive beings. It was rather an amusing sight and Annabel couldn’t help the small smile that made its way onto her pale pink lips. Oh, how she wished someone would look her way and talk to her.

Just as she thought that a young girl who looked to be about 5 walked up to Annabel. The girl had fiery red hair and bright vibrant green eyes. Annabel observed the girl as she skimmed over the shelf of dolls. Once the girl was about a meter from where Annabel stood she squealed whilst gazing at a sun-kissed doll with caramel brown hair and mint green eyes in a fancy emerald green ball gown. The girl ran to get her mother and dragged her to where the doll was. It was obvious as to why the girl chose that doll, for it was indeed beautiful. Annabel watched as the doll was taken to the checkout, placed into a lavish box, and passed to the vibrant-haired girl. Many more of the toys were given the same treatment as they were sent on their way to their new home, with a loving family. Probably to a place with a massive dolls house for them to live in, and have tea parties with other dolls and old scruffy teddy bears. Having spent little time with a real family, Annabel never knew what it was like to play around without a care in the world. The toy shop felt like the homeliest place on Earth for her. She felt as though she belonged there, but she still felt alone and wanted a real home. Someone who would care for her with all their heart. A family that would love her, flaws and all. A family that would accept her for who she was and wouldn’t judge her.

But that day may never come for Annabel because no one noticed her. No one looked her way, no one gave her love. At the back of a bustling toy store stood a small china doll. Long flowing blonde hair that reached the small of her back and eyes of the deepest ocean blue. Her name was Annabel the doll. She stood alone on her shelf waiting for someone to buy her. The last thing she thought of was ‘I just want a friend.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!