I Told You So

In the 1950’s, towns were built and blown up to test the impact of nuclear bombs. These towns were known as Doom Towns. Some brave people decided to move into these towns with their families after surrounding towns were blown up, as they were guaranteed to be safe. But who could you really trust, after a war?
The dusty plains spread out as far as the eye could see, but down a long dirt road was a patch of grass that some called a town. It had some houses and an old general store with very few things to buy.
It was a cosy, sunny Sunday. Robert, father of two sons and a daughter, was outside looking in the family’s mailbox. His neighbour, Stan, yelled out to him.
“Good morning!”
Robert rolled his eyes and kept looking through his mail.
“Have you gotten the new bomb shelter yet?” he called out, and he didn’t wait for an answer before he spoke again, “Me and Katie got one installed. You can never be too careful these days!”
He walked inside without saying a word to his…acquaintance. He strolled into the kitchen, where his wife stood making their lunch.
“Stan is right, Robert. We should install the blast-proof basement, Robert.” His wife, Dorothy said to him, “We need to protect the children in case of an emergency.”
“I told you that we’re not getting a clunk of metal that protects us from these bombs that they used to release!” Robert yelled at her.
“Well, when our small patch of grass we call home, and all of us, is gone, who will be saying ‘I told you so’?”
The kids in the other room squealed with excitement.
“It’s on!” They all yelled, “Come quick, it’s on!”
The family bundled on the couch and stared at the television the size of a cereal box perched on a small table. All of the family started chanting the theme to their favourite show.
They sat and stared at the screen. But, halfway through, a loud siren blared from outside. The husband looked mortified. And the wife had a certain look on her face as they both looked and nodded to each other. The house shook. They could hear their neighbours storming down into their bunkers. But Robert and Dorothy kept staring at the screen with their kids. The large metal bomb slammed onto the ground. First came the heat waves – it smashed windows, burnt clothes and skin.
And then the houses tumbled down like dominos. Furniture was launched miles away. This town, advertised to be completely safe, was gone in a matter of seconds. After the survivor’s ears stopped ringing, only one thing could be heard.
The eerie echo of four words, spoken in a raspy whisper.
“I told you so.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!