Tennis

Walking through the gates of the Paris Olympics 2024, excitement tingled through my body. This is one of the most prestigious events ever. I won all the previous races, destroying my opponents, and crushing them with my racquet.

I went from a young schoolgirl to a renowned athlete. From a small remote suburb to a crowded city. I’m the first native aboriginal tennis to play for my country. Years of passionate training has bought me here today.

The tournament ground was huge. It felt like it was getting larger by the second. I observed my surroundings. Everyone was smiling, none showing any sign of worry. The fans crowded across the stadium, all cheering. But the sound was oblivious. All I could hear was my heart thumping in my ears. My fingers tensed and my mind was fuzzy. As the minute hand moved towards the 12, I felt time running faster than usual. Sweat dribbled down my face as my hair started to loosen. My stomach somersaulted back and forth leaving me breathing helplessly. Calm down. My vision was not clear and my throat went dry. I felt my body almost slumping to the floor. My blood rate fastened as it left me out of breath. Your entire country is watching you. Don’t fail them. I felt pride surge through my heart. I have climbed up till here. The Finale. Facing one of the most vicious, undefeated tennis player in history. One who has won millions of gold medals, I will not fail myself or my country.

“2 Minutes to go. All contestants must ready themselves.” The loudspeaker blared in my ears.

I walked into the stadium as the crowd roared with applause. I glanced at my opponent who merrily waved to her fans. Then her eyes locked with mine as she gave me a thumbs up. I returned her gesture with a sweet smile. Speeches were said and the judge started the game. In slow mow, the coin was flipped. As it fell, the other contestant won. She sighed and decided to serve first. She threw the ball high and hit it with a powerful force. I focused my eyes on the ball pinning its movement. I watched as the neon green circle sped towards me. Everything slowed. Game on.

SWING

I was taught never to give up. When I first touched a tennis racquet, I felt a strong connection to it. On my first swing, I hit without fail. My accuracy and strategies impressed my teachers. I was a quick learner. I could figure out my opponents’ weakness within seconds. I defeated my first teacher only after 5 weeks of training. I had many accidents, the worse, twisting my ankle and spraining my wrist. Yet I forced myself to continue. I will prove myself worthy of the Olympic medal.

Hit her weak point. My opponent sprang to hit the ball striking it in seconds. Use that chance. I hit it to the opposite side, leaving her sprawled on the floor.

BINGO

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!