Unbroken

I landed in a thud! I felt faint as I saw the amount of bright blood pouring from my leg.
“Mum, what’s happening?” I muttered.
She didn’t answer. She was completely lost for words.
The next minute I was lying in the most uncomfortable hospital bed with blood-stained sheets and the thickest cast ever covering my entire leg. Doctors didn’t even let me pick the colour. Later, when school started, I still had my ugly cast on. I begged my evil Mum to let me stay home, but she forced me to walk into the haunted school of bullies.
My heart was pounding as fast as a rocket. I nearly puked.
“Penny the penguin has arrived” Patrick shouted as I walked into class.
Everyone began to laugh. I wanted the ground to swallow me! I quickly left the class and wobbled over to sick bay in tears.
“My leg hurts” I cried.
The friendly nurse called my Mum to pick me up.
At home I quickly tried to get into my room. My generous Mum brought a snack to my room. Mum looked concerned.
The next day tingles rushed down my spine as I walked into the old brick horror house. No one said anything. I thought I was safe from the demon bullies. Until…..
“How are you going Penny the penguin?” the demons taunted.
“GOOD” I replied as strongly and firmly as I could.
My kind teacher Miss Francis whispered, “Ignore the bullies”.
Next was lunch. Lunch was a different story, full of pointing, staring and laughing. To top it all off, this is what the whole school heard over the loudspeaker.
“Hello everyone, just reminding you to watch out for poor little Penny”.
My heart sank, my face was sweating like crazy. I’m going to be Penny the penguin until I’m 102 years old.
I’m bursting with excitement. My hideous cast is coming off. Maybe I won’t get teased anymore! I quivered as the monstrosity was removed. My leg was as tight as a knot. How am I going to walk? Suddenly, I could not believe my eyes, Patrick hobbled out in a leg cast bigger than mine. The bully had broken his leg!!! He was not just limping, he was wobbling more than a toddler. The next day at school, I walked in confident and proud, but Patrick wasn’t confident at all. His face was sweating so much he nearly slipped in the puddle he left. As he walked down the hall of horror, the whole school burst out laughing.
“That’s what you get for teasing an innocent 11-year-old” I whispered.
Miss Francis walked out of her classroom and tried to hide her laughter as Patrick stumbled through the classroom door.
I hesitantly sat by Patrick and exclaimed, “At least you got to pick the colour”.
He chuckled.
“I’m sorry I teased you Penny. Maybe I should treat others how I want to be treated”.
Miss Francis smiled as if we had accomplished something amazing. I was proud of myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!