Kings And Queens

She looked up at him from her place on the cold stone floor at the boy that stole her heart, her mind, her soul. And her crown. Her ruined gown spilled out around her, tears staining her perfect brown face.
He looked down at her from his place on the throne at the girl that took his family, his home, his world. But still his heart. His new crown sat crookedly upon his pale head, looking out of place against his inferior made clothes. Seeing her sitting helpless on the floor made him want to reach down and wipe the tears from her eyes. But he couldn't go back now.
‘I tried to make it better,’ she whispered, ‘For you, I tried.’ The look in her eyes said more than words.
“Enough!” he said, quiet but demanding, as he turned away from the girl on the floor so she couldn’t see how his sorrow matched that in her almond shaped eyes. After what she did, well he could never forgive her for that.
The girl watched him get up off the throne and give the signal.
“I love you.” She said as she rose, voice somehow composed, every bit the queen she was raised to be, “But I guess that’s not enough for some.”
The boy turned around, golden hair whipping around his head.
“No,I guess it’s not.” He said, voice sharp, looking her dead in the eye. Already becoming the king he knew he was meant to be. She matched his glare as a guard placed a blade over her heart. She had tried, she really had, but she would not back down. Not after everything she had been through.
Seeing the blade over her heart almost made him want to take it all back. But he would not back down. Not after everything he had been through. The boy flicked his gaze to the guard holding the weapon and gave a nod.With a final glance, he walked away. Away from her, and away from them. It was then that she knew it was too late. Nevertheless, she said it again, as her world came crashing down around her.
“I love you.”
It was barely loud enough to be heard, yet he paused. It killed him to turn around, to give in, but he knew there was only one thing that would hurt more.
‘Wait!’ He spun around, but he was too late.
The last thing she saw was the look on his face, and she knew he had given in, but he was too late.
The sword hit home.
Twin screams pierced the air of the throne room. Both out of pain but for two entirely different reasons.
The boy was right. Only one thing would hurt more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!