Uncertainty

“Zoop” the big weight door to my mum’s hospital ward slowly opened. As I walked in I heard the news on the TV…
“A new healing apple tree was just planted down the road from Westminster hospital.” The voice was coming from a young and cheerful reporter who I had a major crush on.
“Oh hello Lilly dear.” said my mum’s tired yet happy voice, “How was school?”
This was a regular question and I always, always gave the same answer.
“As good as possible, but I couldn’t stop worrying about your cancer. Are you sure you will be ok?” I asked scared that the answer might not be what I wanted.
“The Doctors are trying their hardest honey” she replied in an uncertain and shaky voice. This gave me no more hope than I have ever had. If anything it made me more nervous as she sounded more scared than she was yesterday.
I laid down on a long stretched out armchair and with a lot of struggle and trying I finally fell asleep.
The next morning was Saturday. When I woke up mum was still asleep so I left with as little disturbance as possible. I tiptoed out of the room and then I ran down the stairs. Luckily for me we live right next to the hospital. So I quickly ran home and put Skittles (our dog) on his leash. We walked down the road until we saw three police, juniors but still police, guarding a small golden apple tree.
Turns out junior police aren’t that strong. They were all knocked out clean with a couple of punches. I grabbed an apple from the tree, ran home and put Skittles inside barley shutting the door. I ran up the hospital stairs filled with hope that I would soon have a healthy mother.
“Zoop” mum’s door opened and I saw lots of doctors with solemn looks on their faces.
Three weeks later, it was mum’s funeral day. At the end of the funeral I walked home dragging my feet along the ground and dropping my head low out of despair. As I slowly walked inside I called for Skittles but he didn’t come, so I called for him again and again until I was filled with fear. I walked slowly out the back to his kennel, still calling his name very quietly but when I got there all I could see were his muddy paw prints leading to a hole in the fence. It looked like I had a big walk ahead of me.
As I was leaving, I saw mum’s diary laying half chewed-up on the floor. I picked it up and it fell open. I looked at the page it had opened up to and read what it said. It said… All I want is to see an apple tree flower bloom before I leave this world. As I walked past the apple tree the only flower bud bloomed. I looked up to the sky teary-eyed and smiled.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!