Uluru

The fateful day had arrived. I never imagined going to this place, but always wondered what secrets it had. I don’t know how I got here. It started with me being taken by people who killed my parents. I was thrown on a train, and ended up here, hence I got lost in the sweltering hot northern territory. The train stops and I stumble off. The cold morning weather stops, but my heart starts racing. I step out and feel the heat of the midday heat down my face. Then I start the journey around uluru. I walk and walk. The winding path leads me through old aborigional history, a big rock formation that looks like it's been shaped to be like a wave, and lots of bushland and red dirt. They're are lots of people walking around Uluru, but they are prepared. Drink bottles, shorts, sunscreen and food. Then I look down at myself. I’m going to roast like a potato. The midday glare of the sun on me makes me sweat, and that dizzy feeling doesn't go away. It's so intense that after a while, I become so disoriented, that I collapse and darkness takes over me.

I wake up looking at white. I think to myself, ‘am I in heaven?’ Then an angel comes. She’s speaking to me. I look round and blink. “W..Where am I?” The angel smiles at me. “Hello. I’m Nurse Rose. I’m here to take care of you while you’re in the hospital. How are you feeling?” I nod, then shake my head. I don’t understand. I’m dizzy and my head hurts, I don’t know how I got here. I can only make out, “thirsty”. Nurse Rose nods and goes to get a cup of water for me. She comes back and gives me the cup. I greedily snatch it and gulp it down in one go. She says to me, “You were taken in by a very nice man from uluru. Luckily he was there. Looks like the heat of today caused some trouble for you. We're going to keep you in here for another little while, OK?”

“Where are your parents? Kids like you shouldn’t be out here all alone in this heat.” I nod, then stop. The excruciating ache in my head won’t go away. Then I fell asleep. I dream of a world where everyone would be happy. Have their parents by their side, a house to live in, rainbows you could touch. Memories flood my mind like a tidal wave. I’m lost in a tsunami flood, my parents, where are they!? I am woken up by Nurse Rose shaking me. “Hey are you ok? You were sweating and as white as a sheet. Do you want anything?” I smile grimly and whisper, “Can I have some space please?” She nods and leaves. I fall asleep again, there is a woman in front of me, arms wide open. She hugged me, and it instantly feels like home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!