Call Me Omar

Omar is my name. It means flourishing or long lived. I was born in Australia where I came from an Islamic background. I started my Kindy to Year 6 in an Islamic school. This year is my first year in a new school environment.
“How is your school going?”, Mum asked. “It’s going great!”, I replied. “Glad to know, Omar!”, Mum said joyfully.
“It’s almost Ramadan in a few days and you should get ready for fasting”, Mum said grinning.

THUD! Suddenly, my heart sunk. I felt sick in the stomach.

I remembered Dad had already discussed this situation of fasting in an environment where there are not many who know about this. At the time, I didn’t have a concern about it at all. I was just thrilled to go to a new school!

Gradually I had countless worries. Were they going to judge me? Was I going to be considered strange? What would I do?!?!

The days went by fast. Soon enough, it was the morning of Ramadan. I had eaten my Suhoor (a meal eaten in the early morning before fajr/sunrise), prayed my Fajr (Muslims’ first prayer of the day) and was ready to go to school.
“Are you feeling ok?”, Mum asked ominously. “I’ll be fine Mum, don’t worry.” I said to Mum trying to look keen while hiding all the distress on my face. “See you after school then!”, Mum smiled. I waved goodbye and walked erratically with tons of anxious thoughts.

The morning bell rang, the day went quite normal until it was…RECESS! Everyone was eating their delicious snacks except for me. My friends noticed that I didn’t have my recess which was unusual as I am usually not forgetful and they asked me what happened. All of a sudden, everyone’s eyes seemed to be on me as if I was like an alien. I staggered for a bit. Then, I managed to blurt out, “I am fasting today.”

My cheeks turned red like a tomato as everyone seemed to look very surprised. All of a sudden, Joshua shouted, “It’s for Ramadan, right?”. Then Jacob added, “Yes, I remember my primary teacher told me about that last year!”. I felt so relieved that they didn’t find me strange!
I felt over the moon!!!

After recess, Mrs. Tan the Hass teacher asked, “Before I start the lesson, who here is fasting?” “Omar is!”, Joshua called out. “Ok! Today, we’re going to watch and share a video about Ramadan”, Mrs. Tan said to the class. I felt so alleviated.

At the end of the day, all the distress and worry that I had at the start of the day, had suddenly vanished! I’m so lucky to live in Australia and be a part of a multi-cultural, caring and diverse country. I am so blessed to have supportive teachers, friends and a harmonic environment.

Thank you, AUSTRALIA!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!