I Have Nothing

Nothing. No friends, no home. No one. I have nothing. No mother to sing me to sleep. No father to teach me to fight. No siblings to play with. No one left to care for me. Everyone is gone. Gone off the face of this torn up universe, leaving me to exist in this world full of darkness to fend for myself. Standing in this cold empty apartment contemplating the life I’m living, deciding whether or not I am enough to live for myself. Can I be me in this place of betrayal? My mind racing with dark thoughts as I reach for the keys sitting still on my lonely wooden dining table. Shaking as my hand makes contact with the cold metal door handle of my second storey apartment. A cool gust of wind brushes the strands of hair from my face as I leave my lonely apartment for the last time. What purpose do I have in this world? Does anyone care what I do? My vision is grey, as dull as my eyes. My mind is clouded, lost in a train of thought. My body walks through the splintered door without thinking and up the stairs to the roof of my rusting building. Who am I? Is this the only way I can find myself again? Taking one last step onto the edge of the building. The sky is grey, my vision is foggy, my life seems short. I listen to the sound of the city below. All sounds muffled until the soft ring of a phone floats through the air. But maybe there is hope for me. Answering the phone, the voice of an angel sings through. Not a word is spoken from my mouth as the person I thought I lost, speaks their heart to me. A spark ignites inside as this feeling of life warms my body. The words ‘turn around’ whisper through the speaker. My feet shift still on the edge of a building though meeting the eyes of the love of my life. Memories spinning through my brain as I remember my reason for living. The only person that was there for me in my darkest times. The purpose of my life. He walks towards me slowly as tears fill my eyes and my heart fills with joy. Excitement blinds me as I take a step back. My life flashes before my eyes. I hold them shut tight waiting for impact but it never comes. Slowly opening my eyes, a hand holds my wrist, grip tight as I hang from the side of the old building. Immediately he pulls me up and engulfs me in a rib crushing hug. My body feels limp but my heart is now full. I’m not ready to leave this world just yet. My vision is bright and my mind is clear. I have something.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!