Camp River Rat

I stared down at my food…
It stared back…
First day at camp and I already want to go home.
Over the school holidays mum booked me into a “fitness camp”. “But mum I don't want to go” I said. “It'll be good for you” she said, “I’m sure you'll love it.” And the next thing I knew I was standing in front of Camp River Rat.
The day started off fairly dull with just a few boring ice breaker activities, such fun games like pass the ball to a random person and they say their name, say a word that rhymes or alliterates with your name and the best one…sitting in a circle and saying something about yourself! After what seemed a week, we finally had lunch and all of us were introduced to the lovely meal schedule:
Day 1:
Lunch: ham and cheese toasties
Dinner: fish head surprise!
Day 2:
Breakfast: deep fried toadfish filets and egg sandwiches
Lunch: fruit and vegetable salad
Dinner: boiled turnip soup and carrots.
I couldn't keep reading otherwise I would throw up, but I thought it was just a joke so I didn't think too much about it.
After lunch we were shown to our prison cells, I mean “cabins”, they consisted of bunk beds with flat hard mattresses with thin sheets and a weird toilet/shower hybrid in the corner with a curtain strung around it.
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful but then dinner came along…and when my dinner was staring at me that night I thought to myself ‘Maybe I might go vegetarian.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!