The Flower’s

Michelle enters the residence of her grandmother. In both hands, overstuffed luggage. With her movement, her backpack sways. Michelle enters her new room. She examines her new surroundings. Michelle's grandmother is a traditionalist. Conservative. She seemed to be from another age. Her house is established, strong, and old.

Michelle's room features the same boring, milky white walls as her last one. Photos from the past adorn the walls. The strong hardwood bed situated close to a huge window with a view of the green and nut-brown forest. A bedside table containing both of her parents' wedding rings in a transparent crystal case. She remembers every time she sees them.

Flash back

Michelle was the sort of youngster who defied authority. She had begged her parents to go out to a party one night, but they refused because it was a school night. Michelle didn't appreciate their reaction, so she went to her room, piled her bed into a human figure and snuck out the front door. She then proceeded to the gathering on foot.

She ultimately decided to leave the party after a time. She detected a whiff of smoke as she walked back along the dark street. When she glances up, she notices a majority of yellow light. She quickly notices her entire building is in flames. The night sky is now filled with a booming sound.

End of flashback

Michelle awoke at her old home. It was her first night here. Her head is filled with questions. She gently rises, changes into a baggy clothing and wraps her parents' rings around her neck. Before she walks away, her grandma says, "Don't lose those rings."

Michelle begins to stroll towards the hazy woodland. This area was filled with flowers of all shapes and sizes. She felt instantly comfortable. In this area, her anxiety faded. She stops to pluck a flower. The landscape surrounding her turned to ash as soon as her fingers pulled the dead blossom from its original location. She lets go of the flower, unsure of what has just transpired.

2 days later
Michelle flees out the house, tears streaming down her cheeks, head bowed, not wanting anybody to pursue her. While rushing through the little woodland, her necklace becomes entangled on a twig, causing one of her parents' rings to slip off. Unaware, Michelle continues running, picking up the first flower she spotted.

"I simply want to get out of this planet," she says quietly.

Michelle then enters the universe and looks around, noticing big brilliant structures that look nothing like the city she used to live in. As she looks about, she grabs for her neck, hoping to discover the rings. She then looks down and notices one resting on the ground, but the other is nowhere to be seen. Worried, she retraces her steps and looks about, but she never finds the second one.

Michelle had no idea what to do after that incident, so she went about her existence in the strange world she was now locked in, still wearing the one ring she had left.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!