Never Alone

“If you want your hat back, then go get it,” teased Brad as he tossed Rick’s hat in the bin. Ever since third grade Rick was bullied. It started with simple teasing and over time Brad started to make up and spread rumours about Rick. Not only that, Brad would also take his belongings and constantly insulted his family.

The worst thing was, his friends (now ex-friends) believed those rumours and one by one, started to distance themselves away from him. Rick dreaded going to school every day; the thought of having to face Brad scared him. There were countless times where Rick wanted to tell someone, but the fear of Brad stopped him every time.

One day Rick was playing at a nearby park, until he saw Brad approaching him. Rick started to walk away, but Brad stuck his leg out and tripped him. “I don’t want to see you here ever again. This is my park.” threatened Brad. Rick ran.
The next day at school Rick realised that his classmates were laughing at him and he wondered what was up. His (only) friend Tom told him that Brad had told everyone that Rick still wetted his bed at night. Now everyone thought Rick was a baby. Tom was confused as to why Brad would start something like that, but Rick remained quiet. Tom kept asking and eventually Rick gave in and told him everything. Tom was upset that he didn’t pick up what was happening earlier. Rick didn’t blame him because Tom only started school here this year. He wasn’t there when the bullying started. Tom was determined to help Rick and they tried brainstorming ways to stand up to Brad.

Suddenly, Brad walked up to them, threw his homework in Rick’s face and told him to do it. Just as Rick was about to say yes, Tom stopped him and said. “No, he won’t do your homework.” Everyone went quiet instantly. Tom patted Rick’s back as if he was encouraging him to do the same for himself. In that moment, Rick felt like he could do anything. If Tom could do it, then couldn’t he?

“No. I’m not going to do your homework Brad. Do it yourself.” Brad was shocked to hear Rick say no.

“Yeah, Brad. Do it yourself,” chimed in Tom. Brad’s face went crimson and he stormed away.

Rick’s next step was to tell a teacher and luckily they were very understanding. They took the time to listen to what he had to say and apologised for not noticing what had been happening. As Brad’s punishment, his parents were notified and he was suspended for one month.

Rick also told his parents about the bullying. Like the teachers, they apologised for not noticing earlier but they promised that from on, Rick could tell them anything. With everyone’s support, Rick was finally not afraid. Even when Brad came back to school, Rick would not be scared of him anymore.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!