The Mountains Of The Moon

Explorer's Log. 'My name is Ali Hayes, I am an explorer and zoologist. My Journey is to the mountains of the moon, following my Grandmother's footsteps. My trusty assistant; June and I, will be staying for a month to research. The mountain range is in the outline of a crescent. It is said to have incredible animals. That is why, I'm going.'
Ali and June climbed up the steep rock face of one of the mountains. Carefully clambering over the top of the hill, collapsing onto emerald grass. The view was breathtaking; valleys and ponds cast peachy by the setting sun.
June began to set up a camp, while Ali surveyed the terrain. The moon had begun to shine as June finished setting up. The pair sat down gazing out over the land. As they watched, little glowing dots speckled the valleys. Ali crept closer. As the pair approached, the creatures huddled into a group in the shape of a crescent. June snapped away with the camera. Ali sat down nearby the herd and jotted down notes about the creatures. When Ali looked up a sheep-like creature gazed at her with big green eyes. The creature looked like a miniature sheep with big eyes and glowing wool.
"I'll call it, a moon-sheep" Ali declared proudly. The moon-sheep trilled approvingly. More moon-sheep surrounded them trilling. As Ali took note, a huge glowing figure approached, Ali gasped fearfully. It resembled a polar-bear, it was white with blue glowing patterns along it's back.
"A moon-bear" Ali breathed, quickly writing it down. The moon-bear approached and sniffed, then grunted laying down and purring.
Ali rose, she headed down the hill, the group of creatures eagerly following. Ali approached a pool, drawing out a magnifying glass and peered into the water. Underwater bioluminescent mushrooms dotted the shallow water, little glowing fish darted around slow purple snails further in. Ali wrote more down.
Days of playing with moon-sheep and discoveries followed, and soon it was time for the explorers to go. June began packing up while Ali finished off her notes and played with the moon-sheep. By the time June had finished packing up, the sun was high in the sky, the moon-sheep trilled and galloped off into a little cave with the other moon-sheep. The moon-bears and other creatures had disappeared already. June handed Ali her bag and beckoned her over to the mountain edge to start the climb. Ali wrung her hands together nervously.
"June," Ali said cautiously, "I have decided…to…stay here." June's face fell, but she nodded sadly. Ali watched as June solemnly clambered down the cliff alone. Guilt rushed through her.
Years later, Ali had set up a nice cottage. She had collected jars of specimens, written books, befriended many animals and had many discoveries. Ali loved it. But she missed June.
One moon-lit night June appeared at the door to Ali's cottage. "June!" Ali cried joyously. June smiled weakly. Then she collapsed into Ali in a tight embrace. Moon-sheep circled them trilling. The pair were finally reunited.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!