My Sunshine Is An Angel

“As you know, we all wanted to go ice-skating for a long time. And when we finally got the chance to, didn’t take too long for all of us to put on the blades. We went out onto the ice, all of us clinging to the rails as we were all like baby deer trying to stand up for the first time. It would’ve been such a funny thing, watching 5 teenagers stumble around and trip over our own feet.” I let out a watery chuckle.

"Eventually, though, most of us got the hang of it, but you most of all. And when I looked over to the other side of the rink and saw you, I realised I would never see anything more beautiful in my life. Everything slowed to a crawl. You were gliding over the ice, so gracefully. You looked angelic. There is no other word for it. Your hair cascaded onto your back like a gorgeous chocolate waterfall. Your nose was tinged pink from the cold, frosty breath appearing in front of your face. You seemed so happy. It was otherworldly. I was so enamoured in staring at you that I crashed into the person in front of me. Surprisingly enough, you slipped as well, which would’ve been funny, but your head collided with the wooden railing. It splintered, as did your skull. You didn’t wake up again." I sniffled and tried to rub the tears out of my eyes.

"The last time I saw you, you were pale as snow. Your chocolate hair was splayed out around your head like a halo. A nurse told me you had no more brain activity with no chance of it coming back, and that you would eventually be taken off life support. I didn’t want to accept that. You were my sweet sunshine, my angel, the light of my life. I loved you so much.” I looked down at my feet in embarrassment.

"I feel stupid saying all this. Do I have to continue?"
You put your hand on my shoulder and lifted my head up with your other. You gazed into my eyes and wiped a tear from my cheek that I hadn't noticed was there.
"It's not stupid, I promise. Please, keep telling me."
"Well... when I was walking out of the hospital to go home, I wasn't fully paying attention to where I was going, and I ended up crossing a street without looking for any cars. My head became well acquainted with the road, and then here I was. Anti-climatic, I know. I’m…" I hesitated.

"I’m glad I died, though.” My voice cracked.
Then, you pulled me into a tight hug. It warm, far warmer than anything I've felt before. I could hear your heartbeat. The dam broke and I started to fully bawl,
"I was so alone here, sunshine! Please don’t leave me again.”
You kissed the crown of my head while I sobbed and held me tighter.
"I’ll never leave you again. I swear on my death, I won’t.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!