Old Memoir

“granny , granny! Watch me!” the child squeals as she spins in a happy circle, blonde ponytails spinning in the breeze. I smile softly, such precious moments, she’s still so small and delicate to handle nothing more than her senses, everything a sudden delight. My granddaughter giggles as a butterfly flies past her, she chases it - little legs bounding across the featherlight grass and into the distance. I lay down, enjoying the bright rays of sunshine caressing my wrinkled face, and shut my eyes to the world.

“I love you Thyme” he whispers, kissing me softly - lips a light brush, a caress. I open my eyes, capturing his crystal gray, the stars that lay within them. He brings his arm around my waist, drawing me closer into an embrace, we lay there, side by side - souls entwining under the moonlight sky. The stars glimmer in a silent dance and slowly, the soft, small clouds make their way around the sky, an endless movement.

The lights flash in rhythm, music steadily thumping through my body, the party - a sea of bodies dancing as one. I tilt my head back and laugh, swaying with the beat that feels as familiar to me as my own body.
“I wish we could stay like this forever!” one of my friends screams, laughing as she tilts her head back and shakes her autumn coloured curls. I join her, running my hands along my young face - yet untouched with age, savoring the moments of freedom.

My feet push against the pedal of the bike, desperate to gain distance, I was late to school once again - mother would throw a fit if I didn't reach it in time.
“Hurry” I whisper, and suck in a deep breath, channeling my energy.
There! In the distance, a bright yellow sign - the indicator that the primary school is close, so close, maybe I would have time to play with my friends first. Pedal, pedal, pedal…..

Little mouth puckered into a neverending wail, I let out an ungodly call, demanding to be paid attention too. My mother scoops me up, cradling me in her arms, I stare in bewilderment at her face - shining so brightly under the sun, “shhhh Thyme that's a good girl.” My chubby hands flailing, I bring them to her face and she smiles, kissing my button nose gently. I laugh and my mother squeals in delight, heaving me up above her head.

Smiling in my wooden coffin, laid into the earth long ago, I savor these moments of time, memories that I cherish deeply, snippets of the life I used to have. Time, the indefinite span of existence - future, past and the present. My time was out, finally out, defeated - I let my eyes fall shut for the final time and let my soul make the final leap.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!