Crocodiles Are Creepin’

Once, my family had a holiday at Mt Gloria, a mountain so high up we could see the clouds. My sister, Marie, and I drank a mug of hot chocolate each and then we got ready for our bushwalk. We walked along merrily, whistling. Suddenly, as we walked past the Riot River, a cascade of fresh water soaked us to the skin. A stupendous shadow slunk out. A tremendous crocodile, as wide as a school bus, stood, towering before us.
“Who dares wake thy slumber?!” it boomed deeply. “YOU!! By the power of strangling I shall destroy you! LEECHES!!!” Humongous wormlike leeches wriggled out of the crocodile’s lair. I flinched at the thought of dying just then. “Strangle them! Those pests should know better than to disturb The Great Barktoff, King of Crocodiles!!” Barktoff commanded, screeching like an owl. However, instead of following their master’s orders, the leeches started break-dancing. It started off with a giggle but Marie and I were soon in hysterics! As the leeches started forming a conga line, Barktoff couldn’t hold in his anger any longer. “Aah, you useless idiots! Do I have to do everything myself?! You know, let’s just go.” he declared. The crocodile’s servants picked him up and carried him through the entrance to his home, squeezed his butt through and slammed the door behind them. So we continued along our walk, carrying a quirky memory.
Yet, as I strolled, I couldn’t stop thinking about the crocodile. Maybe he was actually nice. In that case, we should have been quieter. A sign might do the trick. That way, Barktoff could get more sleep, so he might be kinder. I suggested this to my parents. “Mum, Dad. I was thinking. Maybe, while we’re at the picnic area, we could make a sign for the crocodile we just saw. I thought he might be tired because he hasn’t gotten enough sleep.”
“Hmm. That’s a superb idea, Ellie.” replied my Dad who is an English teacher. “I recommend that you and Marie find some bark and a smooth piece of wood. Mum and I will find a sharp stick to engrave words on the sign and a long stick for the pole. Let’s go!”
About an hour later, everything was ready. All four of us gathered around The Great Barktoff’s door. I rapped politely three times. “Who is it now?!” a disturbed voice answered. “It’s only us, the family you met a while ago.” I told him meekly. “Ugh. Yes?” said a drowsy looking crocodile. “We made you a sign!” screamed Marie. “Indeed we did,” added my Dad. “It says ‘Shh! Croc asleep!’ so everyone who passes will let you sleep without disturbance!”
“Why, this is terrific! How did you know I’ve barely gotten any sleep?” exclaimed the now excited Barktoff. “Oh, I just guessed, ‘cause you were grumpy and had bags under your eyes.” I replied smugly. “Thank you, thank you. You guys are welcome here any time. Now, now. Don’t worry about standing the sign up. I’ll do it later. See ya!” As we waved and Barktoff grew smaller and smaller in the distance, I realised something and giggled, “Well, I guess he’ll find out our names next time.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!