Dark Forest

I rambled through the forest, the animals scurried as I strutted in their direction. the scattered rough tree bark on the ground painfully pricking my toes, I inhaled the earthy air that hinted lavender. The moon had been shining brighter than before. The moon was a silvery-wraith disc that hung in the deserted sky. The trees clashed and smashed against one another like huge drumsticks. I picked at the wild onions and took a bite off a chunk. My tongue cried in agony as the irritating taste of the forest onion invaded my taste buds. I quickly spat out the onion. I sighted some sort of creature in the corner of my eye. It seemed to be a human.
He was waving a shiny silver object at me in an attempt to take me down with a weapon that small. I cried out as I glared down at the despicable man in front of me. Who does he think he is when he waves that bright object around? He can't win against me. I chuckled just a little. He would be my entree, I decided “ why have an onion when you can a have a fresh ripe human”?. A soft breeze touched my roughneck's scabby skin. I lunged at the man as he moved and yelled. My horns were lodged deep inside the large oak tree as I crashed into it. I pulled and wrestled until my horn snapped off with a startling sound. I lost my footing and fell onto my back. As I slammed against the jagged woodland floor, leaves flew with a loud whoosh and twigs stabbed me in the back. I cast my eyes to my right. As the person struggled to get the horn out of the tree, my eyes became wider. In a fit of terror, I stood up and moved to approach the person. Unexpectedly, he had removed the horns from the trunk with a loud grunt. I screamed bloodily as he drove the horn deep into my chest, and my back once more became attached to the earth. My body's energy seemed to be dwindling quickly, and I was in excruciating pain. I marveled at the stars Beyond the moon's corona, in an unending arch of void-black, stars flashed at me. They were gorgeous and birthstone blue in some spots, sparkling in their glorious finery. The ones farthest away were like flashing pinpricks amid a shroud of blackness, nearly beyond the range of human cognition. They appeared to be the faraway, dazzling sparks from angel fire and had a slight silver color. Before I knew it a wave of darkness had to overwash me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!