Tangled In The Trees

The day was muggy and the air was sticky. Mushroom, a dragon (or Mush for short), was enjoying a fly through the Tangletrees that usually bloomed at this time of year.

Mush never wanted steam-season to end. He wished he could fly forever and never tire of it.

Reluctantly, he ascended and landed in a soft leaf hammock to rest. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his apprentice Aloe flying up to him.

“Hello!” greeted the talkative young dragonet, grinning. “How are you, Professor Mushroom? I couldn’t be better! I decided I wanted to talk to mother about seeing you – no kidding, you’re better than Professor Gumtree – but she said to ask father! Then he said NO, so then I snuck off! And I then realised that you'd be in the hammock next to your hut, and here you are! Isn't that extraordinary?”

“Very interesting, Aloe.” He sighed. “But you’d best get off home. There’s a storm coming. Your mother and father will be extremely worried about you!” the dragonet groaned.

“But whyyy!?” she complained. “Are you doing something? Can’t I stay here?”

Mushroom growled softly, looking at the dragonet with a thoughtful gaze. He sighed. “I am doing important business that isn't for nosy little dragonets like you. Now please, I ask you to leave.”

The dragonet flew off with an eye-roll and an annoyed expression.

Mush paid her no mind, and turned toward his hut. “Cookie, come here,” he yelled to his human friend. The human skidded lightly across the hut balcony, climbed up the branch that held it up, and flung himself onto the dragon's talon.

“Okay, what now?” the human sighed. “Is it more of your terrible dragon lessons? Please don’t tell me it is.”

At that very moment, dark grey clouds engulfed the sky, lightning struck the ground and ferocious wind shook the earth like an earthquake. Mush thought there was more time!

As the storm whipped around him, screams of half the continent’s populace filled Mushroom's ears. His body was too light to hold him down, and he was swept away.

Eventually, he stopped when he fell into the deep water. He’d thought he would never see the light of day again. Aloe and Cookie were nowhere to be seen! As he watched the storm, the rough seas took him away.

He woke up on sandy grass. A yellow and black dragon stared at him with intent eyes. “Took you long enough,” they scolded.

Mushroom looked at the grass, it wasn’t wet! “And you are?” he asked. The dragon stared at his wings. “I’m Bumblebee. I’ve never seen someone like you before, how extraordinary!”

“I can say the same to you,” he replied. “Where am I?”

Bumblebee chuckled. “Hm. I’ll get somedragon to help you. Who is your tribe?”

Mushroom smiled. “Tanglewing,” he answered slowly. He knew that soon he would have to get home, but he stayed patient. Who knew? Maybe he could meet someone he liked in this strange place…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!