Mallow's Adventure

In the small town of Mushyborough, lived Mallow the Maitake Mushroom. Mallow lived on an old mushroom farm with 500 other mushrooms. Mallow knew in his heart that he was different from the other mushrooms, the other mushrooms enjoyed the food the farmer gave them to make them grow, but Mallow despised it and said the smell reminded him of the pigs that also lived on the farm. The other mushrooms loved spending their days in the dark, but not Mallow, he dreamt of beautiful sunny days and Maple Tree homes, and most obvious of all, all of the other mushrooms were plain, but Mallow had bright red polka-dots. Every night after the farmer began to snore, the elder mushroom named Fungi told stories to the other mushrooms. Fungi spoke of his mushroom-hood when he was a wild field mushroom. Fungi spoke of fairies and pixies and warned the mushrooms about how scary life could be. Mallow was not scared, he was mesmerized and wanted to live the way Fungi had described. Mallow decided it was time to make a change. He began noting the directions to the land Fungi spoke of until he had it right. Down the glitter path, right at Pixie Hill, left at fairy fountain, over three rainbows until you spot a large Maple Tree. “Perfect!!” Exclaimed Mallow. “That Maple Tree will be my home soon and I’ll name it Mallow’s Maple Tree.” Once Mallow’s map was complete, he said goodbye to his mushroom family. He used his head to parachute from his bedside window to begin his new adventure. He ran through the field towards the glitter path, his laughter echoing as the grass tickled his stumpy legs. Mallow remembered the grass from Fungi’s stories, it wasn't prickly like Fungi had described it at all, it was magnificent. Next Mallow journeyed towards Pixie Hill. “Hey, I remember these flowers!” said Mallow. “Fungi said these flowers on Pixie Hill are full of nasty creatures, but they are just full of majestic fairies!” The fairies and pixies welcomed Mallow, greeting him with tasty strawberry cakes. After eating, Mallow arrived at Fairy Fountain. Birds were singing like a choir. Mallow continued until he arrived at the triple rainbows. “I know what to do!” Shouted Mallow. “Close your eyes and count to three, and one, two, three, weeeee!" He said as he bounced across each rainbow. As he landed, he spotted the most beautiful Maple Tree Mallow had ever seen in the distance. It was better than Fungi described. The leaves danced in the breeze and the fairies' footprints left bark glistening ever so beautifully. “Wow, it is so perfect,” Mallow whispered to himself. “It is, isn't it?” Replied a little voice behind him. “Hey who said that?” Questioned Mallow, and as he spun around, he saw a little mushroom with identical bright red polka dots smiling at him, behind that mushroom, was a field of polka-dotted mushrooms, it was at that exact moment that Mallow knew he was home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!