A Girl's Best Friend

Excellence Award in the 'Unleashed 2022' competition

Hi, I’m Ophelia Howard, red head, freckles and nine years old. I don’t go to school anymore, I’m happy, I’m free, you might think free means no rules, but it’s a lot more than that. It’s 1994 and I’m living wild in the Australian bush, with my best friend, my dog, he is the greatest friend a girl could have. No parents and no rules. Wonder how I got here… well that wasn’t fun.
In 1993 a war started and in 1994 they came to Maryborough where I lived. We were getting shipped to America, away from the danger. We were about halfway through the journey when the boat exploded. There was a bomb in the hull of the boat. They must have put it in before we left the docks. Then all I remember is the coldness of the water and the red fire blurring my eyes. I held onto a piece of wood from the boat. I must have passed out because the next thing I knew I was on the shore alone. No footprints, nothing, and nothing behind me, but forest, bushes and grass. I wanted my home, I wanted my stuff, but most of all I wanted my parents. I knew I couldn’t go back, so I fled into the bush. I had been walking for about 3 hours and was starting to get hungry, thirsty and tired. Then I remembered, one year, an indigenous man came to our school. He told us what they ate, bush tucker. I was most willing to eat something like goanna, it would be easier than eating a cute kangaroo or possum, but how would I catch one? Just then, I remembered seeing a goanna in a tree. I retraced my steps. ‘I FOUND IT!’ I yelled. My yelling must have startled it, because it came down the tree and started chasing me. I ran as hard as I could, but it was fast.
As the goanna gained on me, I really thought it was the end, but from the bushes jumped a humungous wolf. He was red, with a white star on his forehead. He bit the goanna and dropped it in the dirt. He looked at me with a concerned face. He was limping. I looked closer and he had a big cut down his back leg. ‘It’s okay boy’, I said gently, ‘come with me’, and to my surprise, he did. We walked back to set up camp. He dropped straight to the ground when we got there. I grabbed a leaf off the tree beside us to rap around his wound, he seemed to trust me. I cooked the goanna and tasted it, it was horrid, bitter and slimy, I wasn’t surprised, I mean, it is goanna. I gave the rest to the wolf and he seemed to enjoy it. I laid down next to him and looked up at the stars, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all, I felt safe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!