Dawn Chorus

“Rawk, rawk” sing the galahs. The scent of gum leaves is thick and the earth is muddy from the storm yesterday. “Come on Daisy” I call to the cow fallen behind. “Almost there” I yell and in response their moos seem to reply, “we better be.” We turn the last corner and finally get to the station. The grass seems to be illuminating the rising sun.

“Mum I’m home” I shout and a second later she replies, “Come here I’ve missed you.” I race inside and see mum sitting in her favourite blue armchair. Immediately she gives me a ginormous hug, her big belly between us, she kisses me and then asks, “Did it go well?” “Yes mum, none of the cows strayed and it was an easy journey” I reply. “Oh good, your father’s tending the garden patch. Why don’t you go say hello,” she smiles and gives me one more kiss. I run to the vegetable patch.

“Dad where are you,” I call. “Over here” he yells back. He’s behind the shed getting the shovel. “Hi son” he says cheerily, with a wink. I smile. “What are you doing” I ask. “I’m going to pick the horse’s poo, would you like to join me?” he jokes. “No thanks” I reply. Dad walks towards the stables, I watch him until he disappears, then skip inside.

“Harriet, can you come here, I need some help in the kitchen?” “Ok mum”. Mum needs me to get the bowl from the lowest cupboard because, with her pregnancy, it’s hard to reach. She could have the baby any day now and I can’t wait to meet the little one.

“Where is she” we hear a shout, it’s Dad. “You better go check on him” says my mother anxiously. I jog to the stables to see what all the fuss is about. The stables are old and dusty. Today the horses are whinnying softly and I see Dad in front of my horse, Abby’s stable. When I look, I see that she isn’t there!

“Where is she” I ask. “I don’t know” he says almost crying. “We’ll find her” I say.

I run into the bush behind Abby’s stable and see horse tracks. I follow them deeper into the bush, which is full of towering ghost gums and colourful rainbow lorikeets. I finally find Abby eating from a bush. I stroke the white patch on her face and start leading her back and make a mental note to buy a lock!

When we finally make it home, I made sure that Abby was comfortable and checked my watch. I realised I had been gone three hours and it was way after dinner.

I sprint in to find my mother dripping in sweat, a baby in her arms. “Hi darling, meet Jamie your new baby brother” she says smiling. She passes the baby to me and at that moment I feel as if I will be happy forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!