War

Dimness. The moon yielding nebulous light. The viridescent trees stood silently like the fallen soldiers. The stars sauntered contentedly across the cauldron-colored sky. The gritted scarlet dust pranced majestically. The lush warm-colored plants swerved tenderly. A radiating aroma of cigar smoke, as of one fumigating sullenly, was the unvarying proof of Dad’s presence in the house. Tranquility and ataraxy had lit the skies of St Marianne Street. This was the life, for once it was silent...

Abruptly, the long-awaited stillness had been interrupted by the deafening screams, and the blaring vibration of wave of deposits followed by fumes resiliently shattering my home.
I found myself haring through the colossal loafs of stone, brick and corpses. The wing was imperceptibly altering my speed. I could feel the ever so harsh find burn through the fragile skin on my face. My feet had been so numb with bloody blisters and glistening shards of glass, I couldn’t bare to even notice them. My silk pajamas were fit to be a blacksmith’s uniform and my pupils were dry from the thin, crisp air. My home, St Marianne Street, had saw it again. The citizens, now soldiers, the politicians, now a laughingstock. My head was palpitating, throbbing and thinking... Why us? Why?
I edged so near to the gate. It was closing in. I was a meter away, I can slide through now... Right as I was to slide, the serrated points of the gate engraved themselves into the damp, earthy soil. I sat there, hopelessly, what was there to wish for, what was there to live for? Had this really become the norm? Was this the end? Or just the beginning? The horrifying sounds were coming closer. I was like a dead rose mercifully bowing to the afterlife. That was all there was left to do.
“YOUNG GIRL!” bellowed a familiar voice. “JUMP THROUGH THE RIVER”, they continued, “YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ESCAPE!" I turned around with curiosity, worriedness and hope racing through my mind. I looked back, “DAD!" I yelled with no care in the world, “WHY ARE THEY TAKING YOU?!” I cried mercifully to the soldiers, “LET HIM GO!” I screeched so loud it bounced off the walls. “Little bastard, you better leave before you get taken too.” I stood there for a minute, before pulling back my hand. I walked off to nearby help and safety. “ Life is a gamble, take the risk, suffer the consequences.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!