Washing Waves: A Climate Change Story

Bob’s eyes flew open, but it was too late, he was already sinking. He felt like something was crushing his lungs. Slowly sinking to the bottom of the cold heartless ocean.

Days earlier…

Bob lives in a modest house in an idyllic coastal city with his parents and beloved dog Fluffy. His dad is an engineer and his mum runs a small restaurant. As soon as Bob could speak, he bugged his parents to get a dog and finally they did. Named Fluffy, due to his fluffy coat. The cute dog was also a loose cannon and took a few too many risks. Ok a lot too many!

Bob, napping at home following an exhausting day at school heard a loud “CRASH!” Bob looked across the room to see a ragged hole in the wall dumping water onto the carpet. “FLOOD!” screamed Bob. His parents quickly pulled him to the family boat, which they took fishing every summer. They jumped onto the boat just before the crashing waves could rip them to shreds. Their house folded in on itself and collapsed. They drifted across the flooded land on their red boat like it was an ocean. No, it was an ocean! No one rested that night as the boat was thrashed around as a reminder they were still in danger.

In the morning everyone was still dead tired. Even Fluffy who was usually super energetic lay on the floor. Bob’s stomach groaned. He felt like swallowing an ocean. The family’s struggle for survival was going to come to an end if they didn’t find food and water fast. In the nick of time they came across another boat. The other boat kindly offered food and water. The family made quick work of devouring the food.

Days later, again needing food Bob and his Dad took their canoe, exploring for food. Bob insisted Fluffy come but it would be too dangerous. Luckily they found a group of survivors who were also willing to give away precious supplies. Everything was fine until Dad started vomiting. He also had diarrhoea. He was suffering from cholera, a disease from unsanitary conditions. Bob started sacrificing his vegetable rations to his dad who would hopefully soon recover. The next few days were terrible. Bob’s muscles felt like jelly, and he had severe leg and joint pain. he collapsed to the ground while cleaning the deck. Bob’s gums started to bleed. Bob was suffering from scurvy. Scurvy, caused by not eating vegetables. If they did not find help their fate would be sealed.

The next morning Dad was feeling alive again. He was helping mum and tending the ship. Bob weakly opened his swollen eyes to see the delight of his life, a rescue helicopter! As it took the, away Bob looked down at the floating debris. A thriving community annihilated. Bob’s head started to droop and he fell into a deep slumber.

Bob’s eyes flew open, too late. He was sinking, pressure crushing his lungs. Sinking…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!