Nelson Bay

As my feet touched the sand, I knew I was home. The rush of peace washed over me, like it always does. That familiar salty smell of the sea. The sound of the waves washed through my ears. It was great to be back.

In the morning when I woke up, I knew exactly what was going to happen. I would go down to the beach and get sand everywhere in my hair. When I finally made it down to the beach, I couldn’t help myself but run into the waves. It was calm today, calmer than it usually was. The sky was bright blue today, not a cloud in sight. The sun, making it hot and shining in my eyes. The water is nice and cool, refreshing even. I made sure I put sunscreen on with a layer of zinc on top, but for some reason I always get burnt.

Floating in the waves, I stare at the entrance to the beach, waiting and waiting for them to show up. The people that also come here every year, the people that I’ve known since I was born. One by one people enter the beach, I always think it’s them and I am always disappointed when it’s not. When I finally see them, I run up the soft, fine sand to greet them. We hug and say our hello’s. Then I run into the waves again but this time I’m not alone.

We’re riding the now rough waves onto the shore. Floating in the ocean, talking about school, and friends and holiday plans. I tell her about the classes I have this year, and the teachers I hope to have. She tells me all about her new job and her pet bird, whom she misses dearly. We talk about the local shopping centre and the things we hope to find there. The local club comes to mind, our families want to go together like we always do, every year. But this year’s different, there’s something in the way. They’re more cautious this year. I know why but I don’t want to accept it. We can’t break tradition.


It's another morning in the one week we’re here, and my mum, sister and I have decided to go to the shops. The drive is short, but I put my earphones in. I love listening to music, especially when I’m in the car. It’s raining today, that helped us make the decision to go to the shops. As we step out of the car, light droplets of water touch my skin. It’s humid so when we step into the shopping centre the cool air is all I feel. I hear the noise of people. It must be busy because of the rain. Kmart is the place I go, straight to the book section. I find 6 books on the shelves and cart and decide to buy them. I feel independent, content and overall, just happy, and the trip isn’t even over yet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!