The Claws Of Famine

You feel empty.
The last slither of hope, ripped from your feeble grip.
The unwavering hunger swallowing you from the inside out.
Hunger like the claws of a lion, digging in, cutting deeper every day.
Cutting deeper when your parents come home empty handed,
and when another innocent child is stolen by the claws of famine.
Claws that leave you weak and helpless.
The relief of sleep won’t come.
The hunger relentlessly pulls you down,
like a ball and chain when you’re trying to keep your head above water.
You’re weak and defenceless, like a newborn baby.
The relief that comes is never enough.
You dream of a river, but all you see is a trickle.
Your parents eat nothing, just so you can have something.
Stress and fear, visible behind their strained smile and brief reprieve.
Will there ever be enough?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!