The Little Lime Girl

The small audience was spellbound by the beauty of the music. Oliver’s fingers glided over the keys smoothly, as if stroking a cat. When the piece ended, the audience erupted into huge applause, making Oliver smile uncomfortably.
Later, as he prepared to leave, a man approached him.
“Oliver West, what an astonishing performance that was!” began the man.
“I’m sorry sir,” interrupted Oliver, “I've got to go.”
“Surely you can spare a moment to chat, can’t you?” responded the man, rather taken aback, “I am Mr Chalmers, Head of the National Academy of Music.”
“I can’t perform for any larger audience than that!” Oliver exclaimed. “I just can’t!”. He tried to back away but Mr Chalmers was persistent.
He tried to convince Oliver to audition for quite some time, before finally giving up, resolving Oliver as ‘the stubborn type’ and marching off.
As Oliver hurried through the foyer of the Arts and Literature Centre, a young girl in a lime green jumper waved to him, and he nervously waved back.

The notes that rang out of Oliver's home piano poured out even more beautifully than at the little performance.
As he was playing a particularly difficult phrase, the doorbell rang. At the door stood the girl in the lime green jumper.
“Um, Hello?” he said as he opened the creaky door.
The girl smiled up at him. “Can I hear you play?” she asked. “ I live nearby, I hope you don’t mind,” she turned around and gave a thumbs up to her mum.
Suddenly Oliver’s anxiety returned, but he tried not to show it. 5
“What would you like me to play?” he asked, inviting her in.
She grinned and responded quickly “Fur Elise.”
Surprised but relieved, he sat down at the piano and began to play.
“Do you play?” he asked as he finished the piece. She shook her head.
“Would you like to learn? ‘I’ve never taught anyone before.” He surprised himself.
He invited her to sit down. Soon, her untrained fingers were playing a wobbly version of ‘Hot cross buns’ with an accompaniment from Oliver. The little girl watched the movement of his fingers and copied them, learning the melodies he showed her.
It was just as she had begun to play 'Au clair de la lune’ that there was a knock on the door. The girl stopped and turned around, announcing that her mum was here.
The lady had a grin just like her daughter and was quite chatty. The girl tugged at her mum’s sleeve, “Ask him.” she whispered.
“My daughter would love for you to teach her.” the lady said,
the girl looking up at him hopefully.
“I’m really not sure about this,” he said, “it would be my first time.” They agreed that he would think about it and she gave him her number.
“See you next week?” the little lime girl asked as she walked out.. As Oliver sat down, he began to wonder, had she just changed his life?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!