The Unicorn

Once upon a time in a land far away, a land full of witches and wizards, a land full of magic and mystery, lived a girl no older than twelve and her name was Anastasia. She didn't have magic but her mistress did. She was an orphan rescued by a kind old witch and she was her apprentice.

One sunny morning Anastasia went out to get Mirraweed, a plant that grew near lakes. It was a crucial ingredient to make a water breathing potion. Anastasia was at the lake looking for this plant whilst admiring the water's clearness. She spotted a clump of what she was after, and as she went over to it she glanced across the lake, seeing a beautiful unicorn that had a glowing white coat and had a golden horn. She blinked and then it was gone. So Anastasia got the Mirraweed before going home to tell the witch about her sightings.

"Interesting!" murmured the old witch.

"So what did I see?" asked Anastasia.

"It is believed that those who see a unicorn are destined to be great," she said proudly. After that she asked Anastasia to get some Fire Fern. She reminded her not to touch it with her bare hands and with that warning she was off again, but this time into the woods. She was looking for this plant when she spotted a large amount of ferns. When she reached them she glanced up and saw the same unicorn, but this time it didn't run away, instead it came over and bent its head and she stroked its muzzle. It motioned its head to its back.
“Does it want me to ride it?” thought Anastasia. She mounted awkwardly onto its broad back.
“Right, let's go! My name is Silverhoof.” Anastasia blinked thinking she was imagining things but Silverhoof just neighed and then they were off.

“Oh I do hope my mistress isn't wondering where I am,” worried Anastasia. As Silverhoof cantered off Anastasia wobbled before asking "Can you go slower please?"

"Sorry, Anastasia, but I can't, as I need your help to fight off darkness. You know the prophecy but let me remind you,” said the unicorn and he started to sing:-

There once was a Warrior Princess who protected all the land against the darkness
But then one day her heroism fell
The darkness held a rain of terror
The land fell as well and divided into parts
They didn't trust anyone and now the darkness rules
But there may be hope
There is a prophecy that the heir of the princess
Will defeat the darkness and reclaim the land.

Silverhoof finished singing and stated, "You are the heir you that will defeat the darkness!"

Anastasia looked shocked and replied, " I am not related to the great warrior princess and I won’t be able to seal the darkness. Please take me home!"

And the unicorn did as he was bid.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!