30/50

Ding! Everyone moved up the line. Nolan anxiously stared at the doorway to the examination room, sweating, hoping that he would see his best friend come out. He gazed at the door with anticipation as it slowly creaked open with a crowd of people exiting the room. They all had a blank face and their walking pattern was identical to each other in a single file. Emotionless. The guard outside the door was listing them off as codes; G25, T16, B42. It was strange because he knew these people; Sheryl, Rita and Theo. He then noticed that only 20 people came out when he knew that 50 people entered the room at a time. Something was off was this test.

The Government declared a test a few days ago that was required for anyone that was over 10, due to the overpopulation in their community. They told us, we had to get at least 60% on this test. Nolan was an intelligent kid; he knew he wouldn’t have a problem over this ‘little test’.

He sees Oliver pass him after his test, assuming he’s passed the exam, Nolan puts his hand up to congratulate him with a high-five. No response. Nolan thought none of it and walked into the exam room, but before he went inside he heard two people talking in the bathroom.

“Is everything going according to plan?” asked the guard.

“Yes, the pills are ready and working. They are inexpressive when they come out the room, just like He demanded,” said the nurse.

The Government is dehumanising people? He froze in fear. How was he supposed to manage to do the exam now?

He anxiously began the exam. As his pencil touched the paper, he started to worry about the 30 people that didn’t come out of this room when the bell rang. What if he was going to be one of the people that doesn’t exit this room? What if yesterday was the last time to see his family ever again?

His palms were sweating, he felt trapped in the room to make a choice that will impact the rest of his life. The room is pressuring him to answer the question inside his head. Nolan reluctantly completed the exam, not knowing what was about to happen to him when the results come back.

Did he answer the questions to his ability hoping to survive and see his family again, but let the Government control him, or flunk the exam and wait to see what happens next?

He gradually put his test on the single desk at the front of the room and took his place back at his table. Tapping his foot and biting his fingers, he nervously waited for the results, a worker for the Government places his paper on the stone cold table. He swiftly looked at the percentage on the back and…

Oh.

Ding!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!