Petals Of Deceit

In contrast to the oppressive heat radiating off a fire, cold tears welled in my eyes as I thought of my friend, 4. I began trembling as I remembered the things she had done for me; the time she covered for me when I lost my flower; the time she didn’t tell the Elders when I removed my uniform. Thick smoke full of dark secrets stung my wet eyes, my chest tightened as I inhaled it. I would never be able to repay 4’s kindness.
Only earlier today I had been lining up at the Line of Age. Despite law, I had taken my flower off, afraid that it would make me look taller and send me to another community. When I took my flower off I did something alien.
I questioned.
I questioned why we had to get measured and why we… My questions were cut short by the Instructor calling me up to The Line of Age. Measurements were being taken when I saw a small black robot hanging from the roof, its mechanical eye was following my movements with intent. Whilst questioning this strange occurrence, I felt a sharp jab of an elbow. Oh no…
I had grown too tall!
In measuring wrong, I was positioned in a foreign room. The thought of leaving 4 upset me, but I was intrigued to see what the new community would be. My excitement quickly dwindled as I saw a tunnel in the wall of the room. The tunnel was unwelcoming. Click! I was locked in.
I saw the Elders moving swiftly in the shadows beyond the glass wall. The darkness was suddenly filled with bright lights as they powered control panels. The screens overwhelmed my eyes. When my vision adjusted, I was aghast. Recordings of the community and lists of planned death dates flashed on screen. It was clear our loyalty flowers were nothing more than a brainwashing device; totems of naivety. Elders were always watching. I wasn’t too tall. I was too curious. I had taken my flower off and seen the truth.
A scream escaped my lungs.
The Elders turned, summoning a worker into the room in which I was situated. I had to fight for my community. I ran at the worker, but he grabbed my uniform collar, pushing me into the tunnel which supposedly led to my new community. Whilst helplessly tumbling, a gate closed behind me. I was trapped. I shuddered in fright. A fire began immediately in a chamber further down the tunnel. Thick smoke full of dark secrets stung my wet eyes, my chest tightened as I inhaled it. I would never be able to repay 4’s kindness. Then, I remembered; 4 and I drew pictures in these community tunnels when we were younger.
I began searching the tunnel looking for a drawing. Sweat dripping down my face, I finally found one. It was my beacon of hope. I knew my way out of there.
I could save my community.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!