Life On Mars

I stare out of the glass dome, towards orange hills and rovers scanning the surroundings. I miss Earth, but there’s nothing we can do about it now. We treated our home poorly, and we had to evacuate to this planet. Mars. Someday I hope to explore this mysterious place. My watch vibrates. This is my chance to start a new life here on Mars.

A person fits an astronaut helmet on me, and I look in the mirror. A voice comes in through the “walkie-talkie” I carry and I jump in surprise, not knowing where it came from at first. Then I relax and a disjointed voice tells me what I have to do. “Remember, take a sample of the red dirt and come straight back.” I repeat these instructions over and over in my mind. There’s a door on the right side of the room I’m in and I open it. This is it. No more glass domes, no more confinement.

I scoop up a tiny bit of red dust and place it carefully into a little container. Alright. That wasn’t so hard! Now it's time to go back. Suddenly, a flash of bright purple catches the corner of my eye. I can’t help but be a little curious and step towards it. Another flash. Another step. I thought they said there weren't any aliens on Mars? I look down to my feet and see something I can’t quite identify. It’s bright purple and certainly looks like an alien. It starts to crawl up my leg and I pick it up. One eye, green pointy ears and cute and fluffy. I know I shouldn’t stay out this long, but this is something I should report to the space agency.

“Simply a prank. That’s it.” They say. I’m not convinced,, but I don’t want to get fired, so I remain silent.

Out on my second trip, the same purple alien crawls up my leg and this time, I examine it more closely. Underneath the fur, I feel something hard, like metal. I turn it over and notice a little panel. Beneath it, there are batteries. Suddenly I realise what this is. I saw these toys all the time in shops back on Earth. Somehow, someone’s managed to get one here and play a prank on us astronauts. I walk back, happy to have solved the mystery of the purple alien. I think I love life on Mars. Even if we had to leave Earth.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!