The Escape

31st of August 1945, KL Auschwitz Concentration Camp

It is dark and silent in the cells tonight, but the end of the war is near. The Germans are ready to sign the treaty and the war will end but we still have to escape the concentration camp where we are being held by Nazis. My name is Brad Thompson. I am here with my family and a few other jewish people that were captured with me. We were trying to flee the country to become refugees in a new land, but we were caught in the action a few miles from the boat that was meant to take us to a better place. Despite planning it for months, we were captured as we, along with many other jews trying to flee the country.

3:00am, KL Auschwitz Concentration Camp

We have dug into the concrete wall that gives us a straight shot through to the city where we could lay low until the war ends. We Pushed our way through the concrete wall but heard footsteps coming our way, ready for nightime inspections. I jumped out first and ran as fast as I could. I could hear gunshots banging behind us. We made it to the corner of the block and dived behind the first door we could. It was silent for a bit, but then I could see Nazi patrols leaving the concentration camp to hunt down the escapees.

6:00am, Krakow City

Luckily the first door we ran into was a German family hiding jews in their house, and they were completely friendly to anyone who came knocking with Nazis on their trail. They had at least 11 jews hiding in a secret room in the back of their house and didn’t mind having a few more until the war ended and the Nazis surrendered to the Allied forces.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!