The Day I Found Something Amazing

The wind howled at a deafening volume and the thunder growled violently at me. I was woken up in the dead of night. I felt terrified by the thunder and the growling wind, then I realized on top of that there was now lightning lashing from the clouds in the murky skyline. But wait, it was daylight. 7:01 to be exact. “Okay, time to wake up,” I muttered under my mint-scented breath. I swiftly ran out of my extremely cluttered bedroom, but then I realized I hadn’t gotten dressed. I felt exhausted and I got back into my bedroom and fell on my bed. I eventually got dressed and into my very posh uniform. It consisted of a white long-sleeve shirt with a wing collar and buttons, a navy-blue skirt with folds, navy-blue tights, blue ribbons (for hair), and black school shoes.
Have I introduced myself? I am Madeline, Madeline Mary. (Everybody calls me Maddie.) I’m 13 years old and I love the violin and digital art. People say I’m a talented 11-year-old for my height and I only believe in the ‘talented’ part. I ran out of the bedroom and went from the curvy hallway to my extremely messy mud room which had a textured archway to the kitchen. I went in and found my breakfast had already been made. “Thank you, mum!” I exclaimed. I ate my first meal of the day and almost choked to death on my breakfast cereal. I then packed my already overstuffed bag and ran out of my beloved home.
I headed to the tip of the driveway and made a sharp left. Seeing my school, I ran towards it.
“Everybody here?” my teacher asked in her croaky voice and the whole class except for me answered with a yes. “Okay now flip to page 25 of your maths book please!” exclaimed my teacher. Soon the whole class of ‘79 got bored and snuck onto their phones. Oh wait, only two boys were listening to the teacher and somehow time was in fast motion because… “Class dismissed. It’s recess.” my teacher said, using her croaky voice again.
The weather was better now and it was fun when recess came until I came upon a brick wall. It was normal, but what wasn’t, there was a brick poking its head out destroying the neatness of the brick formation. I poked the brick, and it moved. I forcefully tugged at it out of curiosity and it suddenly revealed a horizontal lever. I was speechless beyond words, never had I felt so much anticipation, but my courage was building. It was now beating 100%. I hesitated but I couldn’t help it, I stepped forwards and pulled it and; Yes! A secret lair made especially for me!!! Walls, roof and floor, all my favourite colours, incredibly high tech, good for missions and a note, saying, ‘For Madeline Mary!’ But who made this for me?…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!