Mr Hickory Plumbber

In a little cottage far, far away lived a sweet old man named Mr Hickory Plumbber. He lived where many wished to be, surrounded by lush, and untouched fields stretching on for many miles. By the fire in a rocking chair was Mr Hickory Plumbber deep in a wonderful slumber. He wore an old scruffy hat, a dirt stained crimson coat, a green polka dot bow tie and long green pants covered in grime. Mr Hickory Plumbber loved his garden, every leaf and petal had a special place in his heart. No matter the flower - tulip, poppy or rose - all smelled great under his nose.

One early morning when the birds were singing, Mr Hickory Plumbber came out with his spade and shovel to begin work in his garden. As he started to work he noticed a hole another, and another and one more - scattered around his poppy patch. He looked with despair then astonishment. A little puppy popped out from one of the holes, something he would never have suspected. The puppy had small brown spots all over his head, with big round bulging eyes, black like an endless pit. Before he could blink the puppy waddled away, and for the rest of the day, Mr Hickory Plumbber filled the holes with mulch.

On the second day, it was a pleasant morning and the crickets were chirping when Mr Hickory Plumbber went to check up on his poppies. No puppy was in sight so with a sigh of relief Mr Hickory Plumbber started to garden but when he looked up, all his tulips were trampled and uprooted. He planted and potted and tried to save every one. But Mr Hickory Plumbber was unaware that on a mossy cobble wall was a cheeky little puppy laughing.

On the third day waking from his slumber, Mr Hickory Plumbber devised a plan to catch the puppy. Outside Mr Hickory Plumbber heard rustling in the bushes. He turned the corner and with a huff and a puff, gasped for air while he ran with all his frail might to catch the little rascal. He bobbed and weaved down the field, ran around a tree and under a bridge but he could not catch the scoundrel.

Mr Hickory Plumbber’s face couldn’t be any paler. The puppy pounced and bounced across the field but then one final step – SPLASH! Mr Hickory Plumbber’s hat was floating above the water and the puppy was nowhere in sight. At that very moment out popped the cute little puppy on top of Mr Hickory Plumbber’s head, who was gasping for air. Both he and the puppy laughed so hard until they could no longer breathe, both had smiles so big they could no longer see.

From that day forth Mr Hickory Plumbber always brought food outside for the puppy to munch on and every night Mr Hickory Plumbber dozed off next to the warm fire with the puppy he called Caffè sleeping on his lap.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!