Dire Wolf

This is the story of a young boy and girl in British Columbia (Canada) who don’t know each other even though their islands are next to each other. But this story isn’t about how they met, it’s about the adventure they had.
On the young boy’s thirteenth birthday, he went into the forest and found a girl staring at a mysteriously large wolf cub. He would have yelled if the wolf mother hadn’t just returned. He whispered sternly through gritted teeth, “Why are you here?” The girl replied, “Sort of a long story, we’ll get back to that later.” “What’s with that wolf cub?” asked the girl. “I have no idea, but we had better go.” said the boy. Suddenly they heard a screeching above them then a loud bang. The sky turned dark and they saw a gargantuan eagle fly overhead, blurred by it’s speed. They looked at it in awe but as they rushed towards the boy's house they could see it had been hit by lightning and was in flames. As the house fell to the ground, they heard the screeching again and looked up to see the eagle had tripled in size and was shooting fiery lightning bolts at other islands from atop the cloud.
The eagle swooped down into the trees and as it ascended, the teenagers saw it clutching the mother wolf in its gigantic talons. They rush back to find the wolf cub alone and scared. They followed it as it ran from them and entered a dim cave. The boy yelled “Follow me into the cave!” The girl stopped suddenly and said, “I don’t even know your name!” “I am Ethan” he replied, “What’s your name?” “I’m Nora, do you think it’s safe to go inside with a wolf? What if there are bigger ones in there?” Ethan said, “Probably not, but would you rather stay out here with that oversized, angry pigeon?” “Ok, fair point, let’s go” Nora replied.
As they raced into the cave, they heard another loud bang and saw a flash of light as rocks fell behind them, blocking the mouth of the cave. “That giant pigeon must have good hearing!” joked Ethan. For a moment, everything went black, then Ethan said, “What is that?” as he pointed to something glistening in the darkness. They walked towards the glow, and they heard whimpering coming from behind a rock. The wolf cub crept out from behind the rock and brushed past Ethan’s leg. “This wolf doesn’t seem scared anymore.” said Ethan. Nora picked up the glowing object “It looks like a turquoise-coloured diamond” she said as it started to glow brighter. It illuminated a stone coffin, with a beaten-up wooden sword and shield laying on top. Ethan and Nora looked at the shield more closely and noticed there was a hole the same shape as the diamond.
Nora placed the diamond into the hole carefully, and suddenly, both weapons burst with energy and turned to pure platinum.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!