Studious

My eyes felt weary and my body weak, as if it was withering away from lack of sleep, but this had to be done. ‘Twas the night before my finals and my study book was full of symbols and equations, historical facts, literature, and scientific formulas. Only a few more inquiries were left in my revision sheet, but my mind felt as if it were melting with chunks of knowledge spewing out. Words were gliding around the room. I was lost in a trance, hypnotised by questions and inquiries. The sleepy sensation circulating throughout my blood stream slowly took over and the world started spinning, eyes becoming cloudy. What was I doing again? I couldn’t think straight. The world kept spinning as my grasp of reality faded with incomprehensible gibberish and indecipherable equations racing through my mind. It was getting faster, and I felt stuck. It accelerated, getting more and more abstract. Faster, faster, faster then STOP. A nostalgic tranquil darkness shrouded me. Where was I? Abruptly, a bright luminescence kindled from above revealing a large platform. I stood up to see a giant multiplication symbol. Somewhat bewildered, I set foot on the symbol. Just as I did, more mathematical symbols appeared in front. A division, subtraction, and addition sign, all of them covered in written equations. I bounded onto the next symbol, then the next. As I did, all the equations solved themselves, as if my footsteps held an other-worldly power. There was a strange familiarity about this desolate place. Once I had reached the last sign, a new platform started to configure out of all of the mathematical symbols. It grew and mangled itself into a slim rectangular path with metal bars forming archways overhead. I strolled through the seemingly limitless archways. Suddenly, a large object swung by from behind. I froze, as enormous metal balls attached to the rectangular archways swung over the path. It then registered that I was among multiple giant Newton’s cradles. Chills ran down my spine, there was no turning back. I breathed in the cool air and bolted. Enormous metal balls swinging inches away. What if I didn't make it out of here!? I felt water droplets from my eyes pass me as if it was raining horizontally. The final archway was in view, and I flung myself across the end of the line, shutting my eyes tight as if it would save me. A gust of wind caught my body from behind before hitting the ground. Was I safe? Instantaneously, the platform reshaped itself, becoming circular with a lecture stand and book appearing in the middle. Visions of many historical events flashed from the book and scientific formulas emerged from the void. Knowledge dispersed everywhere. It felt visually loud, becoming unbearable. The world spun again, then I sprung up in bed, my heart pounding so hard I thought I'd hurl. I had dreamt it all. Reality kicked in and I came to the conclusion. I was ready for my finals.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!