Where The True Self Lives

If I ask you the question, “What is the heart?”, you may answer that it is a four-chambered organ made up of cardiac muscles. But as a human, I perceive it as something different. To me, the heart is what houses humanly feelings like love, kindness, sympathy and generosity. The heart is where a person’s true self lives. The heart is a wonderful creation, which can even unite people together. Many people see its mere functioning as an internal organ, but, I have already witnessed a long time ago how it changed the life of a person whom I have been knowing since my childhood, a lot positively. It has been a story that I have been hiding in my heart for a long time…

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The electronic vital sign monitor had begun its incessant beeping noise. My hand coiled around the frigid side rails as the feeble body of Edward which was gradually losing its life was lifted and rested on the white blanket. The electrocardiogram waves unhurriedly dwindled by size and his heartbeat was becoming fainter by the minute. I stroked my fingers through his mousy, brown hair and started into his angelic, amber eyes. Doctors and nurses filed into the room and inspected Edward. I had never seen Edward in such a bad state. Reassuring me that everything will be all right, I waited outside the ward. The door opened and a nurse appeared.

“Edward is making progress,” she admitted. “However, Edward will need a heart transplant.” I was alarmed. Thoughts were rapidly spinning around my head. It would take a long time for someone to appear on the waiting list. Edward had suffered from heart failure ever since he was young and now the pain was unbearable. Edward was transferred to the ICU ward. Just then, the ear-piercing noises of the ambulance rang. A person was in there after suffering from a severe car crash. Doctors and nurses crowded the stretcher, he was severely injured and had to be taken into immediate care. There was no point in him living. His brain wasn’t working but his heart was still working. After discussing it a lot, the doctor phoned the family of the car crash victim.

“Hello, we are calling to let you know that your son won’t be able to survive for long. He is brain dead but his heart is still working well. There is another person his age who is in desperate need of a heart. Would you like to donate your son’s heart?”

The family of the victim erupted into a flood of tears but knew that by using their son’s heart, they could save another life. They agreed.

Edward received his heart transplant the next day. Waking up from his long sleep, Edward felt better. He clutched at his heart and felt very grateful. I held Edward’s sudoriferous palms and smiled at him. He listened to his heart beat and remembered his donor.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!